JIRA Agile Board. New project issues not showing up in Sprint.

Justin Carr July 31, 2014

Hello,

I am a total Newbie to JIRA. I was asked to take over for my boss on admin for our projects so, excuse the questions I ask. I will try to make sense.

There is a global Agile board where we can see all issues that are associated with each release/Sprint. I created a new project and from what I can see, duplicated other projects permissions and functionality. The only issue for now is I created an issue in the new project and even if I associate the release to it, it still does not show up on the board.

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Justin Carr August 6, 2014

Thanks for all the help.

0 votes

OK, Thanks everyone. I created a new filter and only added the new project and the two other projects that have issues for this sprint. I did not add any special data in that field. Then went to the filter query in Board Configure and adjusted the Order By in that area and BOOOM !!! Seriously.. Thanks everyone, I would have been doing this over the weekend.. SHOTS for everyone!!

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 31, 2014

Boards work by running filters on Jira issues to select what they should be working with.

Go to the board configuration and check the very first tab, you will find it probably filters for something like "Project is A, B or C", and you'll need to add your new project to that.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 31, 2014

Not shares - the filter the board is running is what you need to amend. (Shares are about who can use the board). It's on the same page as the shares, but lower.

Under "Shares" the new project is there, as well as the others that have issues in them. They can be seen but the new project has 1 issue in it and its not visable.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 31, 2014

Yes. That's the thing that chooses what issues are shown on the board.

Edit Filter Query??

ok, i tried to modify it by adding toolkit to the string and it wont allow

If I try to create a new filter and add the new project name, when I save the filter it only has the original 4 projects in it. It literally removes the new project name i added.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 31, 2014

Difficult to say what could be wrong from that. It's probably just missing syntax, but we can't tell. The box should be helping you write the filter, validating what you're changing. Maybe if you post the query here, we could scan it for problems.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 31, 2014

If it cannot form a valid query from what you are typing in, it will jump back to what you had before. I'd guess it's not grasping what you are entering for the new project.

One thing to try - copy the filter definition and paste it into a text editor so you have it in front of you. Then, type it in from scratch,adding your new project in when you reach the right point. You should see that Jira tries to help you by suggesting things as you proceed - accept the most appropriate choices.

You might find it safer and easier to do this in the issue navigator "advanced search" though - if you work there, you won't affect the board, and you can ensure your new issues are on the list before pasting the query into the board.

Chris Hodgens July 31, 2014

Have you checked that the status of the issue has been accounted for when defining which statuses go in which columns on the board. In configure, look at columns and make sure the status are dragged into a column rather than being under unmapped statuses

The issue is a "New" issue, and in the column management there is a "New" status under to do and other issues from other projects are there. I believe the problem is this: I can create a new Filter Query with just the new project, and under saved filter I can change it to the new filter and see the issue in the board under the correct Sprint. But, I cannot see any other issues, obviously due to filter only having the one project. But, if i try to add the new project to the existing filter it wont save and only shows the other 3 projects...

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 31, 2014

It sounds like you are putting in an invalid filter definition. Have you tried what I suggested?

Suggest an answer