Issues not showing in backlog

Michele Daigle June 14, 2021

I created a new "company managed project" and an epic in it. I created issues in the epic using the link in its box but none of them show in the backlog. epic create issues.png

They are under the epic when I click on it:issues in epic.png

And they show in all issues:

all issues.png

So why can't I see them in my backlog? This is my workflow: 

workflow.png

4 answers

1 accepted

12 votes
Answer accepted
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 14, 2021

Hello @Michele Daigle 

What is the filter for your board?

Can you show us the Columns page under Board Settings?

This issues may not be appearing because

- they are being excluded by the filter used by the board

- the status that the issues are in is in the Unmapped section in your Columns page. 

Michele Daigle June 15, 2021

I'll go get that now, but I do get this msg when I create a story in or out of an epic not showing.png

here are my columns, it is a sprint not kanban board so I don't want a backlog column in my sprint. No matter the status, they won't show on the backlog either. columns.png

It's asinine but this worked: 

columns2.pngbl workinhg.png

Like # people like this
Michele Daigle June 16, 2021

Trudy, thank you for helping me out!

Mithila N Bhat January 24, 2022

Hi @Michele Daigle i'm facing the same issue. Can you help me with how you got this sorted?

@Trudy Claspill how do I get the issues under unmapped section to my backlog/sprint?

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 24, 2022

@Mithila N Bhat 

Welcome to the community.

If you are using a Scrum board and you have Statuses in the Unmapped area, those statuses have to be moved to one of the columns you've defined in order for issues in that Status to display in your board or backlog.

If you are using a Kanban board and you have activated the Backlog view, you have to move the Statuses from the Unmapped area to the Backlog column.

Like # people like this
Mithila N Bhat March 2, 2022

@Trudy Claspill thank you, that helps!

Yatin Shingala July 29, 2022

Even the issues having status which is mapped to the right most column will also not visible in the backlog.  So, don't map the status to the right most column.

Lord Pablo January 3, 2023

Same issue. I have all my statuses mapped and my Done are still not showing in my sprints or backlogs. Simply mapping is not fixing my issue.

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 3, 2023

@Lord Pablo 

Welcome to the community.

Please start a new Question in this community for your issue, as the original poster accepted the answer on this question several months ago.

In your new Question please provide the following information:

1. A screen image of your Columns/Status mapping page

2. The JQL of the filter query used by your board.

3. Specify if you are using a Team Managed project or a Company Managed project.

4. Specify if the project is a Service project, a Software project, or a Business/Work Management project.

5. Show us the details of an issue, including the status, type, Create/Updated/Resolved dates, and Sprint field, that you think should be appearing but is not.

Done issues will not display in the Backlog section of the Backlog screen. That section is for issues that are not done and need to be added to sprints.

Done issues should display on the board if the sprint that they are assigned to is Active (has been started, and has not been completed). They should also show in their assigned sprint on the Backlog screen if the sprint is Active. If they were assigned to a Planned sprint (one that has not yet been started) then they will not display.

The absence of Done issues from Planned Sprints and the Backlog section of the Backlog list is because any issues that are already done outside of an Active sprint are irrelevant to the planning and execution of sprints. The work is already done. 

0 votes
Sarah Gentry
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
December 21, 2023

**Jira Cloud user: This has already being said, but the work around and logic is that you have to map a workflow status under a column. So if you have workflows that are intended as pre-sprint activities, then as long as you don't add the issue itself to the active sprint your issue will not show up on or in your sprint, and you will see it in your backlog. My todo column has essentially become a junk yard, but that's okay. 

I feel that all workflows (unless specified otherwise) should show in the backlog view regardless of them being mapped on columns, because I want columns exclusively for what I have in my sprint. So I am not a fan of what the work around has to be when you are using custom workflows that are meant to be completed prior to the sprint.

Capture.PNG

0 votes
Yatin Shingala July 29, 2022

Even the issues having status which is mapped to the right most column will also not visible in the backlog.  So, don't map the status to the right most column.

Arturo Chavira Pacheco October 13, 2023

I got the same issue, You find any fix to this? 

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 13, 2023

@Arturo Chavira Pacheco 

Welcome to the Atlassian community.

Please consider starting a new post/Question for your issue and provide all the relevant information for your scenario such as your hosting type (cloud vs. server vs. data center), the type of board (scrum or kanban), a screen image of your Columns configuration, a screen image of your backlog screen, and details about which issues are not displaying.

0 votes
Airbus Driver
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 14, 2021

And that doesn't fix that user's issue or mine. I don't have this issue with my three other projects/boards either?

Michele Daigle June 16, 2021

Thank you for helping out!

Airbus Driver
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 16, 2021

Thank you, Michele for updating the post with your solution :)

Suggest an answer