Is there any way to re-order issues within an epic?

Lisa Schnettler February 17, 2021

So, I create issues and assign them to an Epic.

Or sometimes I create issues from within an Epic.

But is there any way to re-order them, so that when I am viewing the Epic in detail, I can see the issues in a sequence that I control directly?

(and removing them all from the epic and then adding them back one at a time in the "proper" order doesn't really address the need since the sequence may change as the Epic evolves and issues start being worked on,etc)

Thanks!

1 answer

7 votes
Marianne Miller
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 17, 2021

Have you tried dragging and dropping them to reorder?  I am able to select and click to drag to a new position in the list of epics.

When you say you are viewing the Epic in detail, are you looking at them in Epic view?

From the backlog, expand the Epic view from the tab on the left.  Within this view, you should be able to drag and shift around as you need.

backlog.jpgepics.jpg

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 17, 2021

@Lisa Schnettler 

Welcome to the community.

As @Marianne Miller details you can reorder them (reprioritize them) in the Backlog view. The changes you make there will be reflected if you open the Epic issue itself and view the list of child stories. Otherwise, while directly viewing the Epic you cannot reorder its child issues. This is true for Classic projects. I have not checked what happens in Next Gen projects.

Like # people like this
lisa.schnettler February 18, 2021

That worked! I don't think I had ever clicked on that [sideways] Epics link! (barely even noticed it before your post made me look) Thank you!

Gidi Geras September 26, 2021

Hi @lisa.schnettler @Marianne Miller @Trudy Claspill 

I have another related question - maybe you can help :)

When entering an epic ticket, I can see all related issue under "Issues in this epic". seems there is only a way to "Order by" some default parameters. 
Is there a way to adjust the default columns?
I would like to see the following:

1. ticket name

2. sprint (currently missing - my question is how to add it)

3. priority

4. Assignee

5. Status

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 27, 2021

@Gidi Geras 

There is not a way to change the data displayed for the linked issues. There is a change request for that feature.

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-36490

Like Gidi Geras likes this
Gidi Geras September 28, 2021

Thank you @Trudy Claspill 

Shachar Har-Shuv June 16, 2022

@Trudy Claspill 

While this workaround is nice, it's really annoying you can't change the order inside the epic view, even though you can for subtasks. 

Is that something you're planning to fix? (Not sure if you've already fixed it in Next Gen and I just don't have it because I'm still using classic)

Like # people like this
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 16, 2022

@Shachar Har-Shuv 

I am just another user of the product. I am not a member of the Altassian development organization.

This is a user community, not a direct line to Atlassian support or development. You can upvote the linked issue and add comments to it if you wish.

Like Dave Rosenlund likes this
Shachar Har-Shuv June 16, 2022

Ohhh I'm incredibly sorry!! Thanks.

Shritesh Garhewal September 16, 2022

This worked😀 . Thanks @Trudy Claspill 

Stephen Wrathall
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 7, 2023

For me, reordering in Roadmaps wasn't ideal because originally only 2 statuses were there (BACKLOG and TODO). So I did this:

1. Created a new Board (called "Epic Ranking Board")
  2. Made the filter for the Board be equal to every issue in the Project, order by ranking
  3. Edited the board settings to have a backlog
  4. Edited the board settings -> columns -> And mapped all statuses (except 1) to Kanban Backlog
    1. Also ticked "Epics Panel"

Now, I can easily reorder any issue, for any Epic, of any status using drag and drop on the Kanban Backlog. I can filter to the Epic I care about using the Epics panel.

Like # people like this
Randy O_Neal
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 28, 2023

I realize this is a few months old, but I just leveraged this today to do the same thing... thanks for the solution!

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events