Is it possible to skip JIRA status on a speicified condition?

Hisamitsu Koga April 5, 2016

Is it possible to skip JIRA status on a specified conditions?

e.g. if "Resolved" is clicked in case "Componets" filed is "A Team", skip to move to status "Resolved" and change status "Closed" directly. if it is possible, please let me know how to do in details.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Tibor Hegyi _META-INF_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
April 5, 2016

Is the component field filled in the transition view or stored in the issue prior to clicking Resolved?

Case A: component is set before clicking Resolved:

Add an additional transition to the workflow, also called Resolved. This will move the issue to Closed.
Add a Condition to the transition that checks if Component is set to "A Team".
Add a Condition to the original Resolved transition as well if Component is not "A team".
This way the two Resolved transitions will be exclusive and only one will be shown.

Case B: component is set in the transition view

I recommend you use an addon for that.

MISC Workflow Extensions has a postfunction: Transition Issue that can be used to skip to another status conditionally if the component criteria is met.

ScriptRunner for JIRA is also a powerful  add-on that has a Scripted Postfunction that can be configured with FastTrack Transition Issue built-in script. It will move the issue to another status conditionally.

MISC or ScriptRunner can be used to implement a solution for Case B but it will be a solution as well for Case A.

Hisamitsu Koga April 6, 2016

Hi Tibor,

Thank you for your prompt anwer. Appreciate too much.

Case A, first of all, two same transition names can be existed? I have tried to add an additional same transition, but it can't be accepted since it is already present.

Used ScriptRunner and my request can be performed by FastTrack Transition Issue built-in script.

Jeremy Gaudet
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 6, 2016

You can't have two transitions with the same name, but you can use workflow properties to make it so they both appear with the same name.  The properties are "jira.i18n.submit" and "jira.i18n.title", and you give them values that map to keys that represent the translated values.  The default workflow's transition for "Resolve Issue" has those properties, I believe they are set to "resolveissue.submit" and "resolveissue.title".

However, for this case, it seems like there is no reason to name the transition "Resolve", when it's going to perform a "Close", you could just name it "Close".

I think the split conditional transition is a slightly cleaner approach, as it doesn't add the resolution transition to the issue's history.

Suggest an answer