Is it possible to Grant Global Automations Access in the Automations For Jira Addon

Geetha June 8, 2022

With the addition of the Automations for Jira addon .I have been able to configure Project Automations for my single project needs. With the complexity and size of the program I am managing, I have a need to run Automations across multiple projects. Especially where the Automation has to follow a Link relationship.

Since this is the addon that I had purchased and I am developing it's usage that will be utilized by other teams, I would like to be granted Global Automations permissions so that I can setup this cross project worklfow. I am hoping that Global Automations permissions is not tied to being a Jira Admin .It will not be scalable for me to make tool requests for these Global Automations and having access is essential for me to improve our processes.

1 answer

1 vote
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 8, 2022

Hi @Geetha 

First thing, I am using Jira Cloud, not Server/Data Center...but I suspect the permissions are similar for Automation for Jira with both versions of Jira.

Global Automation Rule creation and administration requires at least the Jira Administrator permission, and there does not appear to be an separate permission for rule management. 

This makes sense to me as the potential to change issues and rules at a global scale and speed has significant impacts.  As a result, when a project admin feels they need global/multi-project rules we chat about their use case to consider options, implementation, testing, and maintenance for such rules.  We also note the impacts to automation SLAs and availability.

I recommend chatting with your site admin to consider options for who/how to handle the specifics of your use cases.

Kind regards,
Bill

Simmo
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 13, 2022

Hi @Geetha,

Pretty much everything that @Bill Sheboy said. To be able to work across projects you need to be a site admin, for pretty much the reasons that Bill explained.

Cheers,

Simeon. 

Suggest an answer