Is Jira server vulnerable to CVE-2021-44228

James December 10, 2021

I'm keeping an eye on this question. Is there any information about the potential impact of CVE-2021-44228 on Jira Core Server versions?

3 answers

2 accepted

Daniel Eads
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 13, 2021

Hi all,

Daniel with Atlassian Support here to let you know our security team has finished its investigation. We have an official response statement here on Community, which you can access at this link.

Additionally there is more information available on our advisory page, as well as the previously-published FAQ:

Thanks,
Daniel Eads | Atlassian Support

0 votes
Answer accepted
Daniel Eads
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 10, 2021

Hi all,

Daniel from Atlassian Support here. I'd just like to provide you with this preliminary FAQ related to the log4j zero-day. Our Security team is currently investigating the impact of the Log4j remote code execution vulnerability (CVE-2021-44228) and determining any possible impacts. In the meantime, hopefully this FAQ will help address some initial questions you may have.

Thanks,
Daniel Eads | Atlassian Support

0 votes
Clark Everson
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 10, 2021

Hi @James 

Welcome to the Community! I would keep an eye on that post but honestly once Atlassian recognizes it they will send out an email usually to the billing account person on your account if your instance is vulnerable. They will also post https://confluence.atlassian.com/security with the vulnerability and the affected versions.

There's already a few posts about this and it would be really hard for them to respond to each individually.

Best,
Clark

James December 10, 2021

Roger that, Thanks!

Raymond Rabu December 10, 2021

A possibility is to add "-Dlog4j2.formatMsgNoLookups=true" to the JVM startup parameters in setup.sh which I am guessing Atlassian will eventually tell us to do...

https://securityonline.info/apache-log4j2-remote-code-execution-vulnerability-alert/

Edit: this property only applies to log4j version 2.10 to 2.14 so would not help as jira/confluence use an older version. Refer to the Atlassian FAQ posted by Daniel.

Ramiro Encinas December 10, 2021

There is a jar (\Atlassian\JIRA\atlassian-jira\WEB-INF\lib\log4j2-stacktrace-origins-2.2-atlassian-2.jar) that apparently refers to the version 2.x

Like Mohan Sundar likes this

Suggest an answer