Integration with National Instruments Requirements Gateway

Troy Kay October 3, 2019

Hi folks,

Thanks for reading this. :) 

I've got an existing Atlassian JIRA/Confluence install.

We're looking at National Instruments Requirements Gateway as a requirement management tool. 

Has anybody successfully integrated the two pieces of software?  I'd like to have my engineers work against JIRA items, and then have the progress of that task roll up into NIRG.

I've googled. Oh, I've googled.

All I'm looking for is an "It's possible", with an added "Here's a starting place" if you decide you like me; and perhaps a "Here's a complete solution you can buy" if you really want my undying love. :)

Thanks,

Troy

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 3, 2019

No undying love I'm afraid, but Jira does have a REST API you can talk to (presupposing NIRG has extension points that allow you to code for it to talk to Jira), and ways to write code that would live in Jira and read/write NIRG (again, assuming NIRG has a remote API, or at least an interface that could be called consistently).

My instinct would probably be the second approach, because it sounds like updates in Jira should cause change in NIRG, and it's usually easier to make the triggering application do the work (otherwise NIRG would have to monitor/scrape Jira).  The easiest option in Jira is a webhook - it can poke a url when certain things happen in Jira.  (e.g. hitting http://our-nirg.org/update-api/issue=42?timeworked=40minutes).  Or there's coding to generate more complex calls in Jira post-functions or listeners.

From my side, I know nothing about NIRG, but I can tell you "Jira can be extended to talk to other things", so for me, it depends mainly on what NIRG can do to talk to Jira or accept conversations from Jira.

Suggest an answer