Images do not seem to load?

Niels van Aken July 20, 2014

There are a lot of images that should be printed on the pages on our self-hosted Jira setup. You can simply leave the browser tab open and the images will still be loading. This does not include every single image, some user avatars do show, some do not, the Jira logo in the left top corner does not seem to load, some issue prio icons will show and some will not.

This issue does not seem to happen all of the time, but if it does it seems to be persistant for a long time (+15 mins at least).

Jira runs on a clean install of CentOS 6.5 with nothing else running then the nescessary services for Jira. Jira runs in version 6.3.1.

Edit: This issue is now persistant throughout the day (5+ hours), even restarting Jira does not make a difference

Edit 2: While trying to use Jira in the meanwhile, it seems that actually almost every image keeps loading, except for my own profile avatar.

Update: It seems that Google Chrome is having problem with the external DNS record through which I request Jira. When opening http://issues.<ourdomain.ext>:8082 it is not able to show images, weird thing is though, when opening http://<local-ip>:8080 it's working as expected. Even weirder, when on the external version, we can open images which are unable to load in new tabs and they simply show up. In Firefox both versions work fine.

14 answers

0 votes
jeevanboyini February 18, 2020

On the Right Corner of your page there will be 3 dots click on it and click on "see the old version".

0 votes
Scott Murawski April 17, 2019

I use Vivaldi (Chromium)  and I found deleting cookies and cache and reloading the page worked for me. (Had to sign in again.)

0 votes
Christos Moysiadis
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 10, 2018

Chrome latest Version 69.0.3497.100 (Official Build) (64-bit) has still problems sometimes.

Although Firefox version 62.0.2 (64-bit) runs smoothly.

Jira Software v7.12

0 votes
Marcin Gebski June 13, 2017

My JIRA did not want to serve PNGs added on Mac properly, apparently treating them as text instead of image (wrong mime?)

After re-adding images from Windows everything works as a charm

0 votes
mhmtozek July 18, 2016

Guys check the browser bar address. https and http calls makes a difference in order to load images on some installations.

0 votes
Aleš Laňar
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 25, 2014

Cmoooon :D Chrome is the new IE? :o) Never! :D

0 votes
Bryan Trummer - ReleaseTEAM
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 24, 2014

I am seeing this issue now as well. When I am Chrome the pictures take forever to load if they actually do. It is not all pictures. Firefox works fine. I am on JIRA 6.0.8 I looked in my Chrome Plug ins - I dont have any of the mentioned plug ins. Did you just disable them all and enabled one by one? Any other ideas what the issue could be?

Wayne Cornish August 25, 2014

In my case I found that disabling alone is not enough to truely disable them. I had to disable every extension , entirely exit Chrome (and stop any background extensions), enable a single extension , restart Chrome (as before), test JIRA. Repeat until it fails, and you know the last extension you've enabled is likely the cause.

0 votes
Ryan Pesta July 27, 2014

I think I've narrowed my issue down to a plugin called "User-Agent Switcher for Chrome." It might be different for someone else but try disabling plugins one by one, complete exiting and restarting Chrome and try again. Not sure why problems arose when I upgraded to 6.1, but it's working fine for me with the plugin disabled. As soon as I re-enable and restart Chrome, the issue comes back.

Wayne Cornish July 27, 2014

Ah-ha! Found it. For me disabling the Postman Interceptor extension has resolved the issue.

0 votes
Radu Dumitriu
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 22, 2014

Chrome is the new IE :)

That's what I said when I opened up that issue.

0 votes
Niels van Aken July 22, 2014
Done! Thanks for the heads up.
0 votes
Ryan Pesta July 22, 2014
0 votes
Ryan Pesta July 21, 2014

Same thing is happening to me ever since the upgrade to 6.3.1. Appears to only affect Chrome.

0 votes

Hi Aleš Laňar, any idea which of the many config files I would have to search for these caching errors?

0 votes
Aleš Laňar
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 20, 2014

It is look like problem with caches files. And what is in the log file?

Tail -f log, load a page with images and watch what it problem. Maybe try to grep it for errors.

But i think that should be problems with caches or maybe low memory?

Hi Aleš Laňar, any idea in which of the many log files I would have to search for these caching errors? Edit: Also, memory seems to max at 50% (of the 2GB of available memory), so it seems that memory shouldn't be a problem.

Only thing popping up is a DVCS related error while loading a page

2014-07-21 16:45:39,048 pool-12-thread-1 ERROR      [dvcs.service.message.MessageConsumer] Synchronization failed: {"error": {"message": "Traversal state lost. Unable to resume.", "detail": null}}
Aleš Laňar
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 20, 2014

Hi, so memory looks OK. I think app logs should be ideal :) By default they are in atlassian-jira.log.

And if you are on Unix, try this:

tail -f locationJira/logs/atlassian-jira.log | grep ERROR

Run it and then load a page, you should see all errors in realtime :)

Weird, I just entered Jira through the local IP Address instead of a WAN DNS record. When using the IP address the images simply show up?

Edit: Even weirder, when using my Element Inspector (Google Chrome) and opening the resources which are "Pending" in a new tab, they simply open up fine? Really strange.

Edit: Even weirder weirder, in firefox the whole application seems to work fine. :|

Wayne Cornish July 27, 2014

I've the same issue here, but if I switch to Incognito mode it loads fine, oddly.

Aleš Laňar
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 25, 2014

Thread in pool... developers problem. They have to fix it. (sorry for a late answer)

Suggest an answer