Identify and delete duplicated custom fields

Hanna Kutkowska December 15, 2014

Hi,

we have saveral duplicated fields in our JIRA. Here the list with the amount of duplication in brackets.

Epic Colour (3)
Epic Link (3)
Epic Name (3)
Epic Status (3)
Raised During - JIRA Capture Test Session (2)
Rank (9)
Sprint (8)
Story Points (2)

First question:

• How to identify which custom field is used and needed and which can be removed?

To prevent some answer I can add that filtering in Issue Navigator is pointless because it always shows the same value equals all issues in JIRA

Second question:

•  Some of them are marked as Obsolete and some of them are locked. Does it mean that obsolete are no longer used and can be deleted and locked are still in use?

3 answers

1 accepted

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

0 votes
Answer accepted
petry
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 10, 2015

You can check how to get rid of the duplicate fields using the following KB:

Cheers,
Andre 

H K December 14, 2022

Hi @petry 

Due to the the recent JIRA migration from company "A" to our company "B", there have been over 50 custom fields that were moved across and have more duplicated in our company "B" instance. 

There are over 3,000 custom field around there. So, how can I find the duplicated fields which I don't know their names, and then delete the migrated fields? 

Could you please assist me on this?

0 votes
Hanna Kutkowska November 16, 2015

Thanks You both!

Nagendra Babu August 14, 2018

Guys we can a very useful plugin which shows a clear view about used and unused Custom fields

Custom field Usage for jira 

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 15, 2014

First question

• Change the name of the fields - just add a . to the display name or something clear like that.
  • Run a filter for each one (e.g. "Epic Link is not empty", "Epic.Link is not empty", "Epic..Link is not empty" ).  You can kill off any that return 0 results.
  • Where you have results in more than one, you'll need to analyse your data and work out which one is best to keep and what to merge in before you can delete them

Second question

• Obsolete ones can probably be junked
  • Locked ones you probably want to preserve - they're a bit of a pig to remove