I would like to create a set of Epics and Tasks that I can reuse for future business efforts.

Deleted user August 21, 2020

I need to map out and create a process that will be repeated each time we deploy this solution to a new client or site.   I have created a repeatable business effort as a (Version) with an organized group of (Epics) containing (Stories).  Is this a good method or is there a more efficient way?  Should this be a Jira (Template)?   Looking for the optimal steps for setting up these unique efforts and then copying them into a New Unique Epic/Story/Task so that they are not all linked.   (truly unique)

Reading through some of the comments it appears that Deep Cloning the Epics and Tasks might be the right path... I just don't want the connection between the cloned story / epic.  

Do I need to create a new (Version) and then Deep Clone the Epic with Stories ... Is there an option to toggle and uncouple? ... so that I create new and unique stories and epics for each repeated business effort?

2 answers

1 vote
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 24, 2020

Hello @[deleted]

Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Per your description, I understand that you would like to automatically create a pre-determined set of issues (Epics and Stories not having any links between them) with a default template for each client you have, at the time that is more convenient to you. Is that correct?

If I understood it properly, I believe the inbuilt Jira Automation would be the best solution to achieve your need. Using this feature, you can automatically create issues with pre-determined fields, triggering the event by a specific action in Jira Site. E.g: Version created.

Let me give you a practical example so we can confirm we are on the same page here:

Let's suppose you want the set of issues to be created for a project/client every time you create a new Version in your Project. These would be the steps to achieve it:

1. Navigate to your Project > Project settings > Automation
  2. Click to "Create rule", adding the following structure, adding as many issues as you need with the fields you want to be filled:
    Screen Shot 2020-08-24 at 12.41.44.png

A few observations:

1. You can pre-set the values of any fields you want in the issues, optionally changing it after the creation
  2. Jira automation does not fully support Next-gen projects yet, so we suggest using it on Jira Classic projects
  3. Automation rules can be configured on a Project basis or as Global (Appling to all the projects in your site), however, The number of executions are month-limited for Global rules

You can check more details about Jira Automation in the link below:

Jira Cloud Automation 

Let us know if you have any questions.

Anasuya Ghosh May 17, 2021

I tried with my organization DC instance . It worked like magic.

0 votes
Marlene Kegel - codefortynine
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
August 31, 2020

Hi @[deleted] ,

I am happy to read that you consider Deep Clone for Jira

I am not 100% sure if I understand your use case correctly. But there are several possibilities to configure links in your clone, as you can see in the screenshot I attached below. You are free to decide whether you want to clone issues links or not. It's also possible to remove the "clone" link between the clone and the original issue.

Per default Deep Clone maintains the structure of the original issues when you clone them in bulk. So if the template issues are not linked, neither the clones won't be linked.

Don't hesitate to get in touch with us, if you have further questions about our app. I am sure that Deep Clone is able to facilitate your use case.

You can also test the full version of Deep Clone for free to validate if your use case is possible.

deep-clone_epic-links.png

Alison Hunt December 19, 2020

I currently use deep clone but end up having to manually edit 100s of stories and so many Epics, this is not feasible.  I am trying Easy Templates, but the templates only create 1 level , for instance the Initiative I use to create the template does not automatically grab all the Epics and stories within it.  

i need to be able to create templates from Intiatives  with Epics and stories within. so that I can then create initiatives from those template for future repeatable projects please.

Marlene Kegel - codefortynine
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
December 21, 2020

Welcome to the community, @Alison Hunt.

I am sorry to hear that you have to manually edit stories when cloning.

In some cases it is not possible to clone immediately, because of e.g. missing required fields. Usually that can be fixed. 

We would be happy if you contact us directly. I am sure we can help you speed up your cloning process.

__ 

Update: We investigated the issue and noticed that it was connected to another app, not Deep Clone.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events