Recognition

• Give kudos
  • My kudos

Leaderboard

• Global

Trophy case

Kudos (beta program)

Kudos logo

You've been invited into the Kudos (beta program) private group. Chat with others in the program, or give feedback to Atlassian.

View group

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

I want to create a Structure with Components that will have Epics and Userstories in hiererchy

Please can any one help on how to create a Structure based on Components which will be followed by Epics then user stories and subtask.

Do I need to use any JQL query for this , if yes what is that please guide.

1 answer

0 votes
Danny Community Leader Jan 04, 2020

Hi @Sourav Bhatta

Components are great for for structuring a project for two reasons in my opinion; 

1. They help to further breakdown work within projects, such a department teams (HR, Legal, iOS), project layers (data, UI, logic, business).  
  2. Components can have ownership by individuals, there can be a 1:1 mapping for a component to one jira user. Great if you want to give a certain aspect to an Subject Matter Expert. 

It really depends on the jira project itself and what you are using the project to create/solve. 

Let me know your thoughts and we can discuss this further.

Thanks,

Danny

Hi @Danny , thanks for the reply, I am looking for hierarchy under JIRA Add In "Structure" which will have the Parent as Component and the Child as Epic followed by User stories and subtask.

Something like this :

Component>> EPIC>>User story>>Sub Task

When I create a the structure with component I cant see the Epics having the children in a hierarchical format rolling under it.

Hope I am able to explain my requirement. 

Regards,

Sourav

Hi @Sourav Bhatta ,

If I understood the use-case correctly, we should be able to achieve your goal by doing the following:

1. Populate the hierarchy top-level by inserting the epics first.

Automation > + > Insert > JQL/Text Query...

JQL Query example: project = xxx and issuetype = epic

2. Pull in the stories that belong to each epic by using the Stories under Epics extender.

Automation > + > Extend > Stories under Epics...

3. Use the Sub-Task extender to pull in the sub-tasks underneath the stories.

Automation > + > Extend > + > Sub-tasks...

4. Group by Components

Automation > + > Group > Components

Let me know if the above was helpful.

Cheers!

Mario
[ALM Works]

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Jira Software

How to create Jira issus from Excel file?

When to use CSV importer When managing your processes in Jira, there are many occasions where you need to create a lot of tasks. Creating them one by one will cost you a lot of time and effort and i...

4,632 views 22 33
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you