Hypotheses and Experiment Structure in Jira

Deleted user April 12, 2021

Hi All,

I'm implementing a 'hypotheses and experiments' culture, where all product ideas are refined down to a set of hypotheses.  All activities are then focused on testing these; ultimately resulting in a live service/product.  Every ticket, e.g. code this change, change this text, integrate with this service etc. are linked to an experiment and thus a hypothesis.

Do you have guidance on how to set this up within Jira's framework?

Kind regards, 

Paul

3 answers

0 votes
Ken P February 24, 2023

@[deleted] @Michael Gordon 

I am wondering how you ended up with the solution. Would you mind to share?

Thanks.

0 votes
Anna-BigPicture
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
April 15, 2021

Hi @[deleted]

The other solution is to create custom issue types and name them according to your needs.
Afterward, you can link issues based on existing or new links. If you are interested in the visualization of Hypothesis and Experiment Structure and tracking the progress you can use one of the plugins from Atlassian Marketplace like BigPicture/BigGantt.

In BigPicture/BigGantt, you can create an automatic, no-limited number of WBS levels. Task Structure can be created based on both build-in task attributes (e.g., Epic link, Component, Version, Sprint) as well as Jira links.

Please let me know if you have more questions.

0 votes
Dave Rosenlund
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 12, 2021

Hi, @[deleted]. Welcome to the community.

As you may already know, Jira Sofware revolves around an Epic - Story - Substask hierarchy. If I understand you correctly, your "code this change, change this text, integrate with this service, etc." tickets could be subtasks, your experiments could be stories, and your hypotheses could be epics — problem solved. 

However, I'm going to guess things may not be that simple for you. Maybe epics, stories, and subtasks are already being used and you are looking to add layers to the Jira out-of-the-box trio?

If so you can try this Atlassian Marketplace search to help you find Jira apps that might help you do that:

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/addons/app/jira/top-rated?hosting=cloud&query=hierarchy

Full disclosure: The company I work for, ALM Works, makes one of the apps that will show up on that list (Structure), but you'll find others, too. 

If you add some additional details to this discussion, that might lead to other insights and advice.  

Hope this helps, 

-dave [ALM Works]

Deleted user April 12, 2021

Thanks Dave, your suggestion makes perfect sense.  I am just checking to see if I am missing a silver bullet in Jira as I am assuming this approach is not unusual.

Dev teams have used Jira traditionally, as you suggested, epics/stories/tasks/subtask etc. and will continue to do so for some projects.  However, for new product development and product growth initiatives, I want to transition to the aforementioned hypothesis/experiment/stories/tasks/subtask.  I may just have to hammer this into the standard structure. :)

Thanks again

P

Like Michael Gordon likes this
Michael Gordon December 5, 2021

Hi Paul,

We're in an similar situation where we want to track bigger picture + measure outcomes to correct the course. What did you decide with your jira structure?

Thank you,

Michael

Genevieve Bordon-Clanton April 25, 2022

Hi Paul and Michael, 

Similar situation here too. I'm interested to know what did you end up doing?

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events