Come for the products,
stay for the community

The Atlassian Community can help you and your team get more value out of Atlassian products and practices.

Atlassian Community about banner
Community Members

Community Events
Community Groups

How to update the status of specific linked tickets when a primary ticket is transitioned

Edited

Hello! I've attached screenshots of my jira automation for context. I am trying to have the status of all tickets linked in a specific way updated when a ticket in my product board project is transitioned. I tested this between two tickets and I continue to receive the "no actions performed" response as if the linkage isn't being recognized. Both projects have identical statuses. Please help!

Trigger:

1.png

Condition: 

2.png

Branch: 

3.png

Branch Action (to be performed on the linked tickets) 

4.png

Example ticket linkage that didn't result in any action: 

5.png

Rule details: 

6.png

Audit log: isn't considering the linked ticket as valid

Screen Shot 2022-05-16 at 4.36.12 PM.png

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted

Hi @Sarah Coles 

I notice a couple of things:

The issue shown in the audit log is not in the PROD project, and so fails the first condition...so no more processed.  Is that what you wanted?

Next, I see the "Allow Rule Trigger" option is enabled.  That means this rule can lead to triggering itself for other linked issues, potentially looping back on itself...And that will most likely halt execution due to processing time usage.  Do you expect a need for this rule to trigger itself?

Kind regards,
Bill

Hi Bill, 

Thanks for your reply! I pulled a poor example error from the audit log - this is now resolved and I also disabled the "Allow Rule Trigger", which seemed to get me closer to solving this as there is no need for the rule to trigger itself :)

The status transition and linked tasks are now successfully getting recognized, however it is giving me an error related to status translation. Both the PROD and TPB projects have the same statuses, therefore I'm not sure why it is not accepting the copy from Trigger issue command. Is there something else I need to do when defining the status transition to apply to the linked tasks (i.e. using status codes for example?) 

I've attached the audit log response below

Screen Shot 2022-05-17 at 10.12.44 AM.png

Are these company-managed or team-managed projects, or one of each?

Company-managed projects use shared definitions of status and team-managed projects each have their own definition of status values...even though the names might be the same (e.g. Backlog and Backlog).  So multi-project rules impacting team-managed projects are often more complex to handle this difference.

@Bill Sheboy Hi Bill, both projects are company-managed using shared statuses, by mentioning this I did realize one of the projects was missing a status from the other so i updated the workflow scheme and it now works. Thanks so much for your help!

Like Bill Sheboy likes this

Awesome!  I am glad to learn it is working.

Like John M Funk likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Jira Software

Upcoming changes to epic fields in company-managed projects

👋 Hi there Jira Community! A few months ago we shared with you plans around renaming epics in your company-managed projects. As part of these changes, we highlighted upcoming changes to epics on...

14,877 views 37 49
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you