How to sync the comments in a cloned issue and vice versa?

Sanaz Afshar May 15, 2019

Hi everyone,

when engineers clone a Jira issue to a different project, they want when 2 different teams are working on the same ticket, when they add a new comment in the original issue, the comment sync to cloned issue and vice versa, so this way all engineers in different teams can get updated by any new comments.

is this possible? how I can make this?

I know that using a listener can help to achieve this, I also took a look at below links but we are stuck on the script, was wondering if anyone here had the same experience that can share the steps with us?

Thank you,

Sanaz

3 answers

3 votes
Łukasz Krupa August 28, 2019

Hi @Sanaz Afshar 

You can use IssueSYNC app to sync comments and even more data between tickets either on single Jira instance or between several ones.

There is also a feature called 'external comments tab' which let's you to differentiate comments from made on give issue from external ones. You may also use some decorating tags to differentiate that either.

Łukasz

Michael Aglas January 10, 2023

spoiler: paid add-on

Like Shane Johnson likes this
2 votes
francis
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
May 16, 2019

@Sanaz Afshar 

As Matthias is stating - there are a couple of issue sync solutions available.  

(I'm with the team working one of these - Exalate)

Some words of advise

Whenever you do comment synchronisation with a listener - take into account visibility (who can see the comment), impersonation (when duplicating the comment - ensure that the comment is created by the same user) and comment life-cycle (comments can be edited and deleted).

Comments trigger also notifications, so you want to be sure that duplicate comment doesn't result into a duplication of the notifications.

If you would like to continue the discussion - please don't hesitate to reach out and book a demo for Exalate (here)

1 vote
Matthias Gaiser _K15t_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 15, 2019

Hi @Sanaz Afshar,

as you stated, you can solve this issue with listeners which adds the comment to the cloned issue.

I wanted to present you an alternative to a manual scripting solution: You could also use an issue sync app to solve this need. The issue sync app could create a copy of your issue as soon as you press a button or add certain criteria that qualifies it for the sync.

After that, it can keep the comments synchronized - and even more also other fields if you configured so.

I'm part of the team behind Backbone Issue Sync, therefore I might be a bit biased what app to choose, but the other issue sync apps can also help you in your use case.

Cheers,
Matthias.

Sanaz Afshar May 17, 2019

Hi @Matthias Gaiser _K15t_  and @francis ,

thank you for your answer.

The app that you suggested is meant for syncing Jira issues across to 2 or multiple Jira instance,

what I am looking for is :

from Project A, clone an issue to project B using clone ++.

Project A                                                             Project  B

Issue 1                       ---Cloned to --->             Issue 2

(New comment                                               (Expecting new comment 

after cloning )                                                   syncs here and reverse)

when I clone all the comments and histories from issue 1 of Project A clones to issue2-cloned of 1 in project B.

the challenge is, after cloned, when I add a new comment at Issue 1 (original) I expect to the comment sync to issue 2 (cloned one) and vice versa which is not happening currently.

francis
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
May 17, 2019

Hello again,

Local synchronisation is perfectly possible with Exalate.

Let me show it during a demo - no strings attached.

Just head to 

https://www.idalko.com/exalate-book-demo

Francis

Deleted user May 17, 2019

@Sanaz Afshar, your comment synchronization scenario is possible with the issue sync apps mentioned by Matthias and Francis. They work with projects on different Jira instances, but also with projects on the same Jira instance. The apps will make sure to "clone" (or copy) the issue data into each other project, so you have the same issue data. Then, you just have to configure the apps that they also synchronize comments ;-) It's possible to sync comments in both directions (A <-> B) or in one direction only (A -> B or A <- B).

Exalate: https://docs.idalko.com/exalate/display/ED/How+to+synchronize+comments

Backbone: https://help.k15t.com/backbone-issue-sync/latest/server/comments-160664566.html

Like # people like this
Sanaz Afshar May 17, 2019

I can install the free trial and tested, please let me know if that is possible?

Deleted user May 17, 2019

Sure, both apps can be trialed and tested. Take a look at their marketplace listings:

Backbone + Exalate

Like # people like this
Sanaz Afshar May 20, 2019

I have booked a demo for today at 2:30, and tried to join to meeting at and no one showed up.

any idea?Screen Shot 2019-05-20 at 2.57.17 PM.png

best,

Sanaz

francis
Marketplace Partner
May 20, 2019

Hi Sanaz,

We reviewed our demo backlog and something weird happened during the registration, such that this demo remained unattended.  

Can I kindly ask you for another booking?

Thanks,

Francis

Suggest an answer