How to stop transition names being truncated on issues?

J Thomas
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 26, 2012

In JIRA 4.0.2 long transition names just wrapped on screen so we habitually used fairly long descriptive transition names. However in 4.4.5 transition names longer than 26 characters are being truncated with an ellipsis eg "Request further inform...".

Is it possible to switch off this truncation or at least to increase the number characters displayed to a reasonable number say 35? I've searched for a config option similar to ops.bar.group.size.opsbar-transitions to control the label size but I can't find anything and I'm struggling to find where this truncation is carried out in the code/templates to see if it's possible to override it.

3 answers

1 vote
darylchuah
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 17, 2012

Hi J Thomas

I guess there is already an improvement ticket raised on this particular issue.

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-29671

I would highly recommend you to vote on this issue to increase its popularity so that the developer can look on it and implement it on the future version of JIRA and don't forget to add it to your watchlist for future updates.

J Thomas
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 17, 2012

Thanks Daryl. Unfortunately the bug report is for custom field names in 5.1.x and my problem is with transition names in 4.4.5 so a different problem.

0 votes
Jon Madsen January 23, 2014

I also have the same question. I am running Jira 5.1 and do not want the transition names from being truncated

0 votes
Bryan Karsh
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 15, 2012

I have the exact same issue. Would love to hear of a solution!

Suggest an answer