How to send one bulk notification at end of day

Shaun Johnston July 16, 2015

Hi,

By default JIRA sends out a notification whenever something is changed/updated within an issue/task to users involved with that issue/task.  I know I can create a Notification Scheme to limit the number of e-mails sent, and what actions trigger an e-mail notification, but what I want is to have JIRA store all those notifications that are created through out the day, and send one e-mail at a specified time which would contain all of those notifications.

Is this possible?

2 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
William Crighton _CCC_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 16, 2015

@Shaun Johnston -

You should look into JIRA Issue Filter Subscriptions - basically you create a filter that returns the issues you wish to 'batch up' into a bulk notification. Then you subscribe to the filter and select how often (and when) you wish the filter to be run.

Every time the filter subscription is 'run' everyone subscribed to that filter will receive an email containing a 'grid' of issues much like the standard multi-row issue view you see when viewing a filter, or when searching for issues.

The only 'trick' is to set the filter so that you aren't seeing a bunch of duplicates every time - so to do that you (typically) add a date constraint to your filter to only pick up issues that have been updated since the last time the filter was run.

To learn more about filters I found these links to be useful:

One thing to be aware of - the most common problem I've encountered with filters and filter subscriptions has been when users create private filters and then subscribe multiple people to them - since the filter itself is private nobody (besides the owner) will ever receive the filter results. To Fix this the filter owner must go into JIRA and edit their filter adding 'shares' granting other JIRA users access to their filter. This wont give users the ability to view issues in a project for which they have no browse privileges.

Hope that helps.

-wc

Shaun Johnston July 17, 2015

Thanks for your answer William -- much appreciated. I've looked over the link and this is exactly what I was looking for.

3 votes
William Crighton _CCC_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 16, 2015

Ta

Shaun Johnston July 16, 2015

Hi, I don't understand your reply -- was this posted in error, or if not, can you please clarify?

William Crighton _CCC_
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 16, 2015

oh...joy....it was quite a nice reply, let me go and see what happened...

William Crighton _CCC_
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 16, 2015

jeez...hate that....lost, like tears in rain...

Shaun Johnston July 17, 2015

Nice quote. Time...to die.

William Crighton _CCC_
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 17, 2015

truly exceptional scene ending something timeless

Suggest an answer