How to resolve error - Issue is not in inital state

Klorn April 28, 2022

I believe it may be a workflow issue?

Occurs when I try to use the Move command on any issue in my project. All were created as Tasks and I need to move them to Stories

https://jira.jnj.com/secure/moveIssueError.jspa?issueType=task

1 answer

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 28, 2022

The only time I've seen an error like that in plain Jira is when 

• I start moving an issue
  • Someone else transitions the issue (or even moves it themselves)
  • I click "move" in my session 

The disconnect between what the issue was when I started to move it, and what it is when I commit my change throws this error up.

If this is not what you are seeing, then I think you might have an app  doing something odd when you move.

Klorn April 29, 2022

Thanks Nic,

I get this error immediately upon selecting Move from the menu, so don't get to the selection of what to 'move to'

There is no mention of this error in any support documentation either. Maybe a permissions issue, but Scrum Master role should be able to do this

Don

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 29, 2022

I've been able to replicate this.

I just wrote a short scriptrunner post-function and put it on the create issue transition.  It writes a change of status on to the issue without going through a transition, which you should never do.

So that begs the question - do you have anything that might be trying to change the status of an issue away from the first step in the workflow?

It is also fixable (apart from removing the script to make sure it doesn't happen again) - go to Admin -> Integrity check and run the option to check the workflows.  My issue gets listed when the check finished, and clicking "fix them" fixes up the issue.

Suggest an answer