How to put a template in the description when creating the item?

Mila Resende July 15, 2021

I'm trying to put a template as soon as I click to create an item. I've tried using automation and what I'm getting is after I create the item the description changes and that's not what I want. I want as soon as I click on Create, choose the type of task and the description appears.

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Carlos Faddul
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 15, 2021

Hi @Mila Resende 

If you want to see a "pre-fill" of your fields, there is no way to do this native in cloud

If you want to fill after creation, you can use automation

I want it as soon as I click the Create button. 

Carlos Faddul
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 20, 2021

@Mila Resendein jira cloud it is not available, description in the field maybe can help you :\

1 vote
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 15, 2021

Out of the box you can’t change the description field to include a template. A couple of options you do have:

• Rather than put the template into the description use custom fields to capture what day do you want to have included when opening a ticket. You can have validator‘s to ensure the user enters any required information.
  • Consider a marketplace ad on app. Here is one that I found doing a quick search note that I have no experience with this app however it is free. description-templates-for-jira-cloud 

I tried using the custom one and it still didn't work as I wanted

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 15, 2021

A custom “one” what? To be clear in my earlier response when I talk about using custom fields I mean that in Plural. That is let’s say your template has six fields that need to be completed. Moreover let’s save it for our really required and two are optional. In that scenario you could create those six fields within your Jira screen schemes and on the create transition you could make four of the six fields required. So again in that first proposal rather than putting the template in the description you simply require the feels to be completed as part of the Jira issue.

I created a custom one and set it as the default, but it still didn't show up.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 15, 2021

Again a custom one what? Do you mean you created a custom field and it did not show up in the create screen? If so please go to the screen scheme and ensure that you have that field on the create screen. 

The custom field that I created when I click on Create it doesn't appear, it only appears when I save the card.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 15, 2021

That means that your custom field is not on the Create screen but it is on the View screen. You need to make sure that you have the field on the create screen. Go to project settings > Screens and see if you have a create screen already that you can add the field.

Like John Funk likes this
Tenzing Doleck October 27, 2022

@Jack Brickey 

I was able to configure this - but with an outstanding issue. 

The post function works in that it is copying the customdescirption field to the description field . However it only does so once ticket is done being created . Not at the moment when you hit create ..

So now when I hit create-- the description field is still bank . 

This is for company managed jira cloud - I would like the field to populate pre-creation.

Field is on the screen

This is my set up : 

Screen Shot 2022-10-27 at 11.19.27 AM.png

Kate Pawlak _Appsvio_
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 27, 2022

@Tenzing Doleck , this is how the post function works - they're executed on the existing issue. You can't use it on the Create issue screen when you don't have an issue yet.

The same situation is with automation rules. You can do everything when the issue is created.

What I can propose is trying our free app called Issue Templates Agent for Jira. It allows you to create templates which can be applied on the Create Issue screen when you put the "template" phrase into the Summary field. 

Best regards,

Kate

Chief Product Officer & Co-founder @Appsvio | Atlassian Community Leader

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 27, 2022

Hi @Tenzing Doleck , yes this is expected. The post function happens after the event.

Tenzing Doleck October 31, 2022

:( thanks! @Jack Brickey 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events