How to prepopulate Description field (system field) for a certain issue type when creating it

Mauricio Neves August 24, 2021

Hello everyone,

I have read thousands of documents and tutorials but haven't come across one that suits my needs perfectly. Here's what I need:

For a certain project XYZ, I want the issue type Story to have the system field Description prepopulated / formatted in a way that the POs in our department can set up user stories in a nice visual way.

Using the following code in the description, when creating the issue:

{panel:title="User story"}
AS A
I WANT TO
SO THAT
{panel}
{panel:title="Acceptance criteria"|bgColor=#E3FCEF}
{panel}
{panel:title="References"|bgColor=#FFFFCE}
{panel}

I get the following when hitting the CREATE button:

Capture.PNG

However, if I create an automation rule to prepopulate Description field (when Issue created, edit field Description with value x), it doesn't work. It creates the ticket, but blank, even though the automation rule log says the rule passed.

Anyone has any idea of how I can fix/resolve this? 

Thank you in advance!

5 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 24, 2021

Hello @Mauricio Neves 

Have you looked at the suggestion to use a custom field and copy it to the System Description field, described in the responses on this post?

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/Default-text-for-Description-field-on-Jira-Cloud/qaq-p/785597

Mauricio Neves August 26, 2021

I have just seen this now, it sounds a lot of engineering from my side in order to have "colorful prepopulated description fields". I will come back to my teams and see what they think and if it is really really needed, I'll try it out. Thanks @Trudy Claspill 

Eric Kolotyluk October 12, 2021

OMG, that is a truly horrible solution...

Like # people like this
0 votes
Jarosław Solecki _Deviniti_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
March 3, 2024

@Mauricio Neves You can prepopulate the content of Jira fields at the Create screen with Dynamic Forms for Jira created by our team.

You will also gain a few additional features like abilities to set value based on condition, and conditional show/hide fields, making them required or read-only.

Let me know if you need any help. 

0 votes
Kristian Walker _Adaptavist_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 28, 2024

Hi Mauricio,

The behaviours feature of ScriptRunner for Jira Cloud can help to achieve this requirement by creating a behaviour to run on the Create View for your issue type.

The script would then be the script we have located here. 

You would then replace the Atlassian Document Format in the script with the format for your styling, and the Atlassian Document Format Builder can be used to generate the markup required to paste into the script quickly.

I hope this information helps.

Regards,

Kristian

0 votes
Robert Tang
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
February 27, 2024

In Cloud, it is possible if you have Scriptrunner using Behaviours using setValue for description.  I used Atlassian's developer "ADF Builder" to build tables to set as the default value for system fields and some of the example scripts to build it out.

Definitely still some limitations with Behaviours, but it is possible.  https://docs.adaptavist.com/sr4jc/latest/features/behaviours#global-issue-view-supported-fields

0 votes
Iago Docando
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 24, 2021

I believe that in order to identify any possible mistake it would be way more usefull to share the configuration of your rule rather than the formatting of the description field you're looking to get.

Mauricio Neves August 26, 2021

Hey Iago, this is the rule - but I already notice that it doesn't work because the trigger is when issue is created, and I would need a trigger "before issue is created, when issue type is selected". 

Or my brain can't think of anything else.

Capture.PNG

Like Iago Docando likes this
Eric Kolotyluk October 12, 2021

I can't get that working either... I tried

Screen Shot 2021-10-12 at 5.20.39 PM.png

but could not get that working either. Atlassian constantly disappoints me...

Srinivasa vissa March 24, 2022

Jira core engineering team and Jira Product Mangement team are not aligned. They just created one, and community wants a good looking UX so they went with this. I also checked for this option, but they didnt make it simple. Have to live with this. 

Like Mathilde Jaskarzec likes this

Suggest an answer