How to make an automation rule trigger in a time period?

Aaron Monilal November 27, 2020

Hi all!

I want to create an automation rule that triggers when a new change ticket is created between Tuesday 9pm and Wednesday 10am.

Could someone advise me on what conditions I need to use to achieve this please?

Many thanks!

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 30, 2020

Hello @Aaron Monilal

Welcome to Atlassian Community!

It's possible to create scheduled automation using Project automation. The option, in this case, would be to use CRON expressions to run it on specific days.

On the Automation, select When: Scheduled and select the Advanced option.

It would be something like this:

Screen Shot 2020-11-30 at 15.03.33.png

For more details, please check the documentation below:

There are some websites that create CRON expressions as well:

Hope this helps!

Regards,
Angélica

Aaron Monilal December 21, 2020

Hi Angélica,

Thanks a lot for your response! I did see this when you replied and made the rule - but other things got in the way since then so didn't have much time to test. 

Below are the two rules I made using CRON expressions, but I just wanted to clarify one thing. Does scheduled mean that during these times it will just edit all tickets with issue type = change to have that label OR does it mean any tickets created in this time will have this rule applied?

Thanks!

cron1.PNGcron2.PNG

Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 22, 2020

Hi Aaron,

It depends on the automation setting.

On the Schedule, there is an option called "Only include issues that have changed since the last time this rule executed". Marking this option, the rule will exclude issues that were changed the last time it was executed. 

Unchecking this option, the automation will run for all issues, even the ones that were changed the last time the rule was executed.

Screen Shot 2020-12-22 at 10.34.50.png

Like Aaron Monilal likes this
Aaron Monilal January 5, 2021

Hi Angélica,

Happy new year!

So I have that option ticket, yet it does not work. I made another rule to run in this hour (* 0-59 14-15 ? * TUE) then made a new change ticket to no luck. 

I wonder if maybe my requirement may be too complex for out of the box Jira Service Desk functionality?

Thanks for your continued help Angélica, I really appreciate it!

Like Angélica Luz likes this
Aaron Monilal January 6, 2021

Hi Angélica,

I got it working in the end - hoorah!

I just changed this: issuetype = "[System] Change"

Thanks for your help! 

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer