How to make JIRA to send me an email when someone opens a new JIRA tickets?

Lawrence July 9, 2019

I would like ask JIRA to send me an email when anyone in the team has opened a new ticket? Can you tell me how can set this up as a user? 

Thank you,

Lawrence

4 answers

4 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Lawrence July 11, 2019

By Stephen Wright

Hi @[deleted]
If you want each ticket in your Jira Project / Instance created to send you an email - you could add yourself to the notification scheme (you'll need Site Admin permissions):
1. Press the Administration button on the navigation bar (top-right, it's a cog)
2. Choose Issues and from the left-hand menu, select Notification schemes
3. Select the notification scheme applied to your project(s)
4. Under Issue Created, choose Add
5. In the list, select the appropriate user. For just one user (you), you could select Single User - then press Add. Alternatives could be notifications for a specific component, etc.
^ Remember this will apply to all projects which use that notification scheme - so if you wanted to receive these notifications for just one project, you might need to apply a new notification scheme to it.
You can copy and modify an existing notification scheme if needed - from the main Notification scheme page mention in (2) there is an option to copy a scheme to the right.

If this would be too many emails - an alternative is to create and save an issue filter which searches for newly created issues within a timeframe and set a subscription to send you a list - for example:
1. Search for issues created within the last 15 minutes and Save it
2. Under Details, select New Subscription
3. Select to send the filter to yourself every 15 minutes and press Subscribe
Ste

Lawrence July 11, 2019

The alternative works somewhat, but how to stop the notification when there is no ticket opens in the last 15 minutes, for example?

Payne
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 11, 2019

There should be a checkbox for "Email this filter, even if there are no issues found" ... make sure it is not checked.

Lawrence July 11, 2019

It's not check and yet I still get the email notification.

Ste
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 11, 2019

@Lawrence - Is the email you receive empty or does it contain issues?

The subscription will fire if there's at least one issue in the query - often if it's sending you the same issue twice it could be because the query and the subscription's time period don't match.

So for example, you ask the subscription to send you an email every 15 minutes but build a query to look for issues created within the last hour - you would receive an email with each issue in four times, because the query continues to pick up those issues.

If this is not the case, let it run a little longer and see what happens.

Ste

Lawrence July 11, 2019

In my case, the notification is sent anyway when there is no new ticket opened.

jira_notification.png

Ste
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 11, 2019

The only thing I can suggest is double-check the "Email this filter, even if there are no issues found" is not checked - by not checking it you're choosing to not receive subscriptions with zero issues.

Otherwise I'm not sure why this might be happening.

Ste

0 votes
Answer accepted
Ste
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 9, 2019

Hi @Lawrence

If you want each ticket in your Jira Project / Instance created to send you an email - you could add yourself to the notification scheme (you'll need Site Admin permissions):

1. Press the Administration button on the navigation bar (top-right, it's a cog)
  2. Choose Issues and from the left-hand menu, select Notification schemes
  3. Select the notification scheme applied to your project(s)
  4. Under Issue Created, choose Add
  5. In the list, select the appropriate user. For just one user (you), you could select Single User - then press Add. Alternatives could be notifications for a specific component, etc.

^ Remember this will apply to all projects which use that notification scheme - so if you wanted to receive these notifications for just one project, you might need to apply a new notification scheme to it.

You can copy and modify an existing notification scheme if needed - from the main Notification scheme page mention in (2) there is an option to copy a scheme to the right.

If this would be too many emails - an alternative is to create and save an issue filter which searches for newly created issues within a timeframe and set a subscription to send you a list - for example:

1. Search for issues created within the last 15 minutes and Save it
  2. Under Details, select New Subscription
  3.  Select to send the filter to yourself every 15 minutes and press Subscribe

Ste

0 votes
Answer accepted
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 9, 2019

If you are a standard user you can't do it. To modify the notification scheme like @Payne says you need to be an administrator. 

0 votes
Answer accepted
Payne
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 9, 2019

You can modify the Issue Created section of the notification scheme for your project.

Suggest an answer