How to link Jira Cloud groups and Bibucket Cloud groups

Philippe Chaudun October 11, 2017

Hi,

I'm using Jira Cloud software.

In parallel I've a team in BitBucket Cloud.

I created a couple of different groups into one BB team.

I want to create group with the same name and the same users in Jira (I know how to do this) that are linked with the same group in BB.

My goal is to avoid having any people connected in Jira able to create branch in a repository where they are not invited.

When a user is logged in a Jira project, I want also disabling the ability for him to create a branch in another repository where is involved but not link with the current Jira project.

I hope I explain clearly my expectations.

Thanks,

Philippe

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Alastair Wilkes
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 17, 2017

Hi Philippe,

Thank you for your question - and for using the two products!

Bitbucket and Jira have separate group management systems, so there is no way to connect or link groups between the products to achieve what you describe. You will need to manage the permissions separately between the two products.

Thanks,

Alastair
Bitbucket PM

Philippe Chaudun October 17, 2017

Hi Alastair,

Thanks for your answer. It was my feeling.

As both products offer very similar user privileges and permission, could we agree together that having a unique way to manage them for Jira Cloud and BitBucket Cloud should simplify the life of tools administrators ?

As users are identified with a unique login for both tools, it could be some options when you link BitBucket to Jira proposing to import/link groups or other permissions between the tools.

I guess that a lot of administrators will thank Atlassian for this very helpful feature.

In addition in this page: https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiracloud/getting-started-with-bitbucket-and-jira-cloud-776830280.html

there is this information:

"Create a team
Two user groups, Administrator and Developer, are created by default when you create a team.

To create a team:

1. Select Teams > Create team.
  2. Fill in the available fields:
    1. Team name (when adding a team to a Jira Cloud instance, consider using the same name as the Jira Cloud instance or one you can easily identify with a specific project."

that confuse me, how I should understand this and what will be the benefit for the team: nothing is explain!

Thanks for your support,

Philippe

0 votes
Philippe Chaudun October 11, 2017

To add more information: I already successfully link a repository in BB Cloud with a project in Jira, and I'm able to create a branch in my repository from an existing issue in Jira Cloud, so integration is working fine. ;-)

Philippe

Philippe Chaudun October 12, 2017

Any suggestions?

Suggest an answer