How to enable roadmaps

Adam Klenk October 18, 2018

I am currently having trouble finding how to enable roadmaps for my projects. Could someone please help me? 

4 answers

2 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Steve Howe November 12, 2020

Roadmaps are now available (beta) to enable in JIRA classic projects. Edit your board settings, go to the "Roadmap" menu option at the bottom, and enable!

Here's the full instructions:
https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/enable-and-disable-the-roadmap/

Anthony Schultz November 30, 2020

This is great news, Steve. Many thanks for letting us know

0 votes
Answer accepted
Daniel Eads
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 18, 2018

Hey Adam!

The Roadmaps feature is currently only available in Next-Gen projects. If you have an existing Jira Software project, it probably isn't a Next-Gen project.

A quick way to tell is by looking at the left sidebar on the Project Settings section. If it's a Next-Gen project, it will have the Features option:

image.png

If you don't see Features in Project settings, the project is not a Next-Gen project. If you'd like to play around with Roadmaps at that point, I'd recommend creating a new Next-Gen project to try it out. You can Move issues from the current project to the new Next-Gen project if you want to "switch" your project to Next-Gen. Just be aware that some features such as workflow editing are not available in Next-Gen projects yet.

Cheers,
Daniel

c0resh0ck December 19, 2018

Hi Daniel!

Is there any timeframe when we can have roadmaps enabled for classic projects in Jira Cloud?

Daniel Eads
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 1, 2019

Hi Oleg!

According to a previous post from one of our product managers, it doesn't look like there are plans to bring the Roadmap features to Classic projects currently. Some folks have been using Jira Portfolio or Easy Agile Roadmaps as alternatives if they aren't able to try out next-gen projects.

Cheers,
Daniel

Drew Heasman February 20, 2019
Like # people like this
brettm4 March 19, 2020

@Daniel Eads  that is incredibly stupid. Next-gen projects suck and it's silly that I have to trade features between types of Jira projects. Maybe I should look at Monday.com with this kind of customer service...

Like # people like this
6 votes
Sheref Sidarous June 23, 2019

I find it fascinating how Atlassian makes so much noise about some features, except  that there is always a caveat when you try to actually use them.

0 votes
Nick Bartlett June 15, 2019

Those two plugins get costly with a large number of users.  We're just going to create a second project that's next gen and only use the roadmap on it.  The primary project will be classic.  

Suggest an answer