How to create an autoincrement alphanumeric custom field using Jira Software Server.

S December 26, 2017

Hi ,

I am newbie and I have a task to present a screen with autoincrement custom field value i.e running value of field SR100001 and so on in increasing manner whenever "Create Issue" is clicked

2 answers

0 votes
Ethan Foulkes December 27, 2017

Hi Satish,

What is your purpose for this field? How would this differ from the Jira issue key which already generates a unique number for each issue?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 27, 2017

... and would remain a lot more functional and useful than an arbitrary unique number...

While thinking about that, have a think about the actual requirement - why would this be useful to your end users?

0 votes
Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 26, 2017

Hello,

You would need to develop your custom field or use an add-on like Adaptivist ScriptRunner or Power Scripts. 

S December 27, 2017

Could you help me with a sample script as I have no programming knowledge

Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 27, 2017

It depends you are on Cloud or Server and what plugin you are going to use.

S December 27, 2017

I am using Jira Server with Jira Suite Utilities as add-on plugin

Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 27, 2017

I am not much familiar with the add-on. But as far as I know you can not add scripts there. 

Suggest an answer