How to create Validation rule with a message for custom field with Jira on cloud?

Ankita Chattopadhyay November 13, 2020

I have a requirement to create validation rule when ever Status is changed to Needs Prioritization, user points field must have a value. But I have options to create workflow and automation but not a validation rule with a message. Any idea how to achieve this?

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 13, 2020

Hi Ankita,

So is this a classic project or next-gen. For validation rule you need a Classic project. If you are an admin go to project settings > workflows and edit the workflow in diagram mode. Click on the transition into "Needs Prioritization" status and on the right you should see a pop up w/ properties, conditions, validator, post function, etc. Select Validator and then chose field modifed and select the field you want to have validated. Also you should provide an error message if the user does not add a value. Not you will also have to create a screen to be associated to the transition that includes the field on the screen. In so doing when a user goes to transition they will be presented w/ this screen and required to update the field. Note, you may actually want a Condition rather than a validation if you only require the field to have a value before the transition can happen vs. requiring the user to actually enter data as part of the transition.

Ankita Chattopadhyay November 17, 2020

@Jack Brickey Thank you for the reply, I was able to create the validator but unable to relate the screen in case the error occurs. Could you help pls?

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 17, 2020

You can create a new screen under admin > issues > screens. Then to associate to the transition just double click the transition when editing the WF. You will see the screen files where you can select the created screen. 

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 19, 2020

@Ankita Chattopadhyay , were you able to achieve you goal? Can i be of further assistance?

0 votes
Kyle Funaro January 20, 2022

Hello @Jack Brickey , 

Thank you for your detailed message above about how to add the validator. However after trying it on my JIRA instance, I've noticed that I am trying to add a custom field to a validator. Do you know if this is possible? The field is Acceptance Criteria and I am trying to require it to be populated before moving from To Do --> In Progress. 

Thank you in advance,

Kyle

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events