How to create Epic template that generates stories automatically

Matthew Van Doremalen
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
August 25, 2023

Hello,

I am an engineer developing code to deploy applications out to global workstations. Instead of creating the individual stories for my sub-tasks I end up just creating one story that may or may not be completed in this sprint cycle and just add comments to it. I would like to be more efficient and professional in this approach. What I am asking help to create would allow me (and others) to efficiently create Epics when needed and for reoccurring work that still needs to be in Jira.

Here is what I would like to do:

• Create new Epic
    • Select "Application Packaging" "Template"
  • Using my Epic "Template", Jira automatically creates multiple stories and links them to this new Epic
    • Research - "Application Packaging Discovery - XYZ"
    • Execute - "Application Packaging Development - XYZ"
    • Execute - "Application Packaging Testing - XYZ"
    • Planning - "Application Packaging Change Control - XYZ"
    • Execute - "Application Packaging Pilot Deployment - XYZ"
    • Execute - "Application Packaging Production Deployment - XYZ"

I tried searching for this in the forum but could not find an answer. If someone could tell me how this works or point me to the documentation for me to learn that would be great.

Thank you!

7 answers

3 votes
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 25, 2023

Hello @Matthew Van Doremalen 

Welcome to the Atlassian community.

Are you working with issues in a Team Managed project or a Company Managed project?

This may be able to be accomplished, depending on the above, by importing data from a CSV file or by using an Automation Rule.

A CSV import can be done by most users through the "View all issues" screen. You would create the "template" of issues you want to create as rows in your CSV. By importing the CSV you would create the issues in Jira.

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-cloud-administration/docs/import-data-from-a-csv-file/

Automation Rules may be restricted as to who can create them. Sometimes Jira Admins don't allow anybody else to create them. Sometimes they allow Project Admins to create them. If you are not a Project Admin you can check with the Project Admin for the project where you want to be able to create these issues, and ask if they have permissions to create Automation Rules. @David Blank gave one example of such a rule. It would also be possible to set up rules that would clone an existing Epic and its existing child issues.

It could also be accomplished using a third party app that extends issue cloning capabilities. Installing such an app can be done only by a Jira Administrator, though your system may be configured to allow you to request an app. Check under the Apps menu to see if you have the Find option. You could use that to search the Atlassian Marketplace for an app that does cloning. "Clone Plus" is one such app.

David Blank
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 25, 2023

I love the CSV approach.  What a great method @Trudy Claspill

I've imported issues for other use cases and used automation for this but never thought about how easy it would be to make a CSV template and use that!

I will be experimenting with this in our process!

Like Trudy Claspill likes this
2 votes
Thibaut Subra _Elements_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 27, 2023

Hi @Matthew Van Doremalen 

Indeed you can (partly) achieve this with en Automation rule but it is a bit limited. If you're looking for a simpler (and flexible) way to create templates, you can give a try to our Copy & Sync application.

We have an option called "Copy Full Epic Tree", you'll just have to trigger a recipe from your "Application Packaging" template and it will copy all issues (Epic, child issues and subtasks) with links to the source issues.

The benefits are that you can:

• Choose exactly what you want to copy (summary, description, labels, sprint, dates, comments, attachments, etc.)
  • Trigger the recipe through Automation if needed using our REST API.

Note that, soon, you'll be able to clone an entire hierarchy (whatever the number of levels).

Our app is free under 10 users and we have a 30-Day trial policy.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Regards

Thibaut

1 vote
Florian Bauer
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 26, 2023

Hey @Matthew Van Doremalen 

what you describe is more like a process and a common use case for Flower - Process Automation. Have a look at the following BPMN model:

Screenshot 2023-08-26 at 13.07.36.png

Based on this model, Flower creates automatically an epic (can be considered as a process instance) and one story for each of this activities.

• Your stories can be created seriell (one after another) or parallel (all at once)
  • Swim lanes automatically manage story assignment e.g. team Planning
  • You can enrich your model with gateways e.g. Pilot Deployment succeeded? (yes|no)
  • Look at it from your agile board or from a process dashboard

Does this make sense to you?

Happy automating,

Florian

1 vote
Pavel Pavlovsky_AppLiger_ August 25, 2023

Hi @Matthew Van Doremalen

Welcome to the Atlassian Community! 👋

Take a look at our Easy Templates for Jira app 

It does exactly what you need: save a Jira Epic with the whole ticket hierarchy and structure preserved, from Epic to tasks and subtasks.

Then, easily re-use it for new Jira Epic issues creation across your instance or Apply a template with stories and tasks to existing Epic.

Feel free to reach out if more questions would appear!

sagar manchala
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
December 31, 2023

Hi 

Is there any way to create rules & create stories under epic Automatically 

App was costly  is there anyway to create it ?

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 31, 2023

Hello @sagar manchala 

Welcome to the Atlassian community.

Review the other answers to this post. We mention the use of CSV import to create issues and the use of the Automation for Jira feature. Neither of those options require additional purchases.

1 vote
David Blank
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 25, 2023

Hi @Matthew Van Doremalen — Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

I am accomplishing this through Jira's Automation tool. You can find more info and resources here.

I'm not apply a template to my issues, but I am carrying the Summary from the Issue that triggered the automation to all of my tasks. I'm linking the the Tasks to the Epic using the Epic Link Field and a Smart Value.

For Epic Link I use: {{issue.key}} to add the key of the Epic I just created

For copying the summary I use: {{issue.summary}} wherever I want to put it. 

Here is more info on Smart Values

Here's a screenshot of my automation:

Screenshot 2023-08-25 at 3.06.25 PM.png

0 votes
Mary
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
June 27, 2024

Setting up templates for recurring tasks is indeed a great idea to improve workflow consistency. Another suggestion would be to explore Jira's automation capabilities or consider using plugins that offer advanced template features or automation scripts tailored to your needs.For more detailed guidance on setting up Jira Epic templates, you can refer to the official Jira documentation or seek insights from community forums where users often share effective strategies. Finding the right approach can really streamline your project management and save time in the long run.

0 votes
Sanjog Sigdel
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 26, 2023

Hi @Matthew Van Doremalen 

Like @David Blank I have implemented somethign with Jira Automation rule.

WHenever a new USer Story is created, the Automation rule creates a sub task called Documentation-Sub task, assigns it to the BA guy, a Design subtask and assigns it to the UI/UX designer.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events