How to connect between commits to Jira issues?

Offir July 21, 2021

I use VS-Code extension and I read every single word in this guide and could not find what I was looking for, I would like to view a Jira task/bug and see the commits that solved it, is that possible?

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 22, 2021

Hi Offir,

That guide you cited is intended to help you create a Jira issue from within the VS code extension. If you want to be able to see all the commits that relate to a Jira issue, then I suggest taking a closer look at View development information for an issue

It explains in more detail how Jira can display development info, but there are some prerequisites that have to be met first.  For example, the repo needs to be connected to that Jira instance.  That is something that only a Jira Admin will be able to do.  Next your account has to actually have permissions to be able to see the development panel, again this is something that a Jira admin might have to adjust depending on your Jira settings.

And lastly, in order to see related commits/branches/etc, those development pieces need to include the Jira issue key (e.g. ABC-321) either in the commit title, commit message, branch name, and so on in order for those to be visible from the Jira issue.  More details on how this has to happen from the development side over in Reference issues in your development work.  But provided those conditions are met, then when you are viewing an issue in Jira, you can then see specific commits that relate to that Jira issue.

Does this help answer your question?  Please let me know if you have any followup concerns here.

Cheers,

Andy

Offir July 26, 2021

Hi Andy,
Thank you for your answer.
In JIRA, under "Code" , I connected Bitbucket to JIRA, but I don't see any of my repositories there.

After connecting Bitbucket to Jira I have a "development" section above the issue the details with "Create branch" option.

I created a branch and saw it was created in my repository, then I added commit but I don't see that commit linked to the issue, I still have "Create branch" option and that's it.bitbucket.PNG

Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 26, 2021

In order to see those branches, commits, etc, you need to include the Jira issue key in the commit message or branch name. Reference issues in your development work explains this more in-depth.  So that is the first thing to check.  Does your branch name include the issue key?

Offir July 26, 2021

Yes,
Using the Atlassian extension I created a branch with the prefix of the issue: it looks something like this: "bugfix/VC-1843-description-of-the-bug".

I also tried to create another branch from Jira issue using the "Development" -> "Create branch" option, made a pull request and saw the branch was created and added a commit to it with "VC-IssueNumber-some-bug", made another pull request and it still has the option "Create branch" without any commits related to it.

Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
July 27, 2021

Since you can create a branch from within Jira, it sounds like the connection from Jira to Bitbucket is working.  However the inability to see that branch from within Jira would tend to indicate that there is some other problem or misconfiguration here.

Does this problem only happen for your account on this site?  Or are other users seeing the same behavior here?

It might be beneficial to reach out to one of your site-admins and ask that they create a support request on your behalf.  I'm afraid that your account does not have the ability to create these requests, but any site-admin of your Jira Cloud site can do this by going to https://support.atlassian.com/contact

If your account tries to complete that support form, your request would just be redirected here to Community.  However a support request from an administrator could provide us with more specific environmental details needed to further troubleshoot this problem.

Andy

Offir July 28, 2021

Hi Andy,
I have an account for managing Bitbucket and a different account for Jira.

The account for managing Jira is not the owner of the Bitbucket workspace, it's just a regular team member. 

Is this maybe related to the fact that we use 2 different Atlassian accounts?

Thank you

Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
July 28, 2021

Yes, that certainly could be the cause here.  Jira can show you this development data, but what you see in Jira can be contingent upon your accounts ability to see that info within Bitbucket.  Having separate Atlassian Accounts for these products could certainly explain the behavior here so far.

Like Offir likes this
Offir August 2, 2021

Hi @Andy Heinzer 
I try to change the email address I have for the Atlassian account that owns bitbucket to the account  that owns Jira.

I logged in to the account of bitbucket using my account and tried to change the e-mail address to the email address that owns Jira and got the following message:

Sorry, we couldn't change your email

Your email change request could not be processed because myemail@gmail.com  is already associated with another Atlassian account.

Log in  to view your account. If you've forgotten your password you can reset it here 

If you didn't request this change you can disregard this email.

Cheers,
The Atlassians

How can I tell Atlassian to associate the account of Bitbucket to the account that owns Jira?

Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
August 2, 2021

You cannot simply merge these two accounts.  Instead you will need to either invite one account to Bitbucket, or invite the other account to Jira.  Once you have at least one account that has been granted access to both sites, then you should be able to use that account to see this data the way it was intended here.

Steps to invite users to Jira are in https://support.atlassian.com/user-management/docs/invite-a-user/

While steps to grant access to a Bitbucket repo are in https://support.atlassian.com/bitbucket-cloud/docs/grant-repository-access-to-users-and-groups/

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events