how i make to clone a project?

3 answers

3 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Esther Strom
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 4, 2020

Are you looking to clone all of the data in the project, or just create a new project with the same setup as the original? 

If it's the latter, when you create your new project, check the Share Settings with Existing Project box and then choose the project to share settings with. This truly does make the configuration shared, which means if you change a screen or workflow in one project, it will also change in the other.2020-06-04 12_05_00-Projects - Jira - Vivaldi.png
As to cloning the setup AND data, as far as I know there's no easy way to do that yet. There are a number of add-ons that will let you clone all project data from one project to another; read the full post here (not just the accepted answer) for more. That post is a few years old, though, and it's possible there are other options now.

Celine Penaredondo November 10, 2021

Hi @Esther Strom , How can I create this project with a shared configuration. I tried, to create a project and it's asking me to choose a template first I'm not sure what template I should use. 

Esther Strom
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 11, 2021

@Celine Penaredondo there's been a change to the UI of creating projects. You can still create a project with shared configurations, but you do need to choose a template to start with - it doesn't really matter which one, since you'll choose to share an existing project's configuration later on. You just need to make sure to choose a project of the right type (Software vs Work Management vs Service Management if you have all three products) and the correct management type (company managed - formerly called Classic - or team managed - formerly next-gen.)

It would definitely be easier if they had the "share with existing project" first, so you could just do that and skip all the rest of the options, but as of now this is what the process looks like:

2021-11-11 10_41_23-Projects - The Jira of Champions - Brave.png2021-11-11 10_41_46-Projects - The Jira of Champions - Brave.png2021-11-11 10_42_10-Projects - The Jira of Champions - Brave.png2021-11-11 10_42_33-Projects - The Jira of Champions - Brave.png

It's the final screen where you can check the "share settings with existing project" box and select the project to "clone".

Like # people like this
Celine Penaredondo November 11, 2021

Wonderful, thank you for the quick reply! I got it finally working. 

Thank you so much! 

Like Bernard Van Heuverswyn likes this
Javier Silva August 31, 2022

Hi, I created a new project with the same setup as the original but I am the only one that can access the new project, why? I checked that the permission scheme applies to both of them.

Celine Penaredondo September 8, 2022

Is it publicly available? You can add user account under Project Settings > People > Add the account and set their roles to the project. (Service Desk Agent)

Nathan Muntner September 29, 2022

It looks like this is only for Company-managed projects. Is there a way to clone Team managed projects. I built out my work flows and issues exactly how I want them but can't export for new projects and can't "Share Settings with an Existing Project"

Like # people like this
1 vote
Answer accepted
Marlene Kegel - codefortynine
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
June 8, 2020

If you want to bulk clone and move all issues from one project to another you can try out our Marketplace app Deep Clone for Jira.

Update: It's now also possible to clone entire company-managed projects, including issues, components and versions.

deep-clone-jira_project-clone_screen1.png

Don't hesitate to get in touch with our support if you have questions or feedback.

0 votes
Answer accepted
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 4, 2020

Hi Estanis - Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

You can't really clone a project per se. When you create a Classic Software project, you can base it on an existing Classic Software Project. That will clone the connections to shared schemes. 

It will not copy or clone the issues on the original project though. 

And you cannot perform this function on Jira Service Desk or Next-gen projects. 

Esther Strom
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 4, 2020

You can actually set up a service desk that has a shared config with another service desk as far as screens, workflows, schemes, etc. go. What will not be carried over are request types, queue setup, automation rules, SLAs, etc.

Estanis Quevedo June 4, 2020

Wow, do you know if I can at least base myself on the script for a next generation project by Jira Cloud?

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 4, 2020

Ah, they had temporarily suspended the ability to create a JSD project based on an existing one. Glad they got that fixed!

Like Esther Strom likes this
Esther Strom
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 4, 2020

@Estanis - no, next-gen projects are not available for shared configurations. That's one of the limitations, and why many companies don't use them. They're nice for small companies that want one-off projects that are quick to set up but don't need any customization, but they're completely standalone.

Like senthilkumarn likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events