How to change issue type when issue type screen schemes are applied?

Sören Kornetzki September 17, 2014

I have configured JIRA to have Issue Type Screen Schemes which work well except for one thing. Changing issue types between issue types related to other screen schemes.

I have Epic, Story and generic issue type screen schemes. Changing issue types within the issue type screen schme is not a problem (e.g. Improvement to New Feature). But changing a Story to a New Feature is impossible. It just not be provided.

How to configure JIRA to make this possible without lose the benefit of issue type screen schemes?

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 17, 2014

When issue types have different configurations, JIRA cannot just allow you to change them in case they are incompatible.  It has to go through a check to ensure the data remains valid, and that cannot be done by a simple "change" action.

You have two options here

• Use the same schemes
  • When you want to change an issue type, use "Move" - that will prompt you for the new issue type, and you can select any of them.  It will take you through the checks and questions to ensure you don't break the data
Sören Kornetzki September 17, 2014

I didn't noticed that Move was applicable... I'll try this out. Thanks.

Suggest an answer