How to best track the cost of non-quality

Jeremy Barnes November 8, 2014

Hello, I am currently testing JIRA out within my small team using the KANBAN add-on. I am quite new to the software. 

I have been asked to set up a way for the cost of non-quality time (ie. time taken to revise an issue that was our fault and not the client's) to be tracked so that a report could be exported for any given project.

The problem I am having is in how to pull a report that separates an issue's original time spent vs revision time and then also separating revision time into that which was our fault vs the client's fault.

Does anyone have any suggestions of the easiest way to set this up to easily track?

Thanks in advance!

4 answers

1 vote
Timothy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 9, 2014

Looks like you are looking for an Time in Status issue. Try the JIRA Toolkit which has that as an Issue Tab panel. If you want it as a report, you'll have to build from there onwards.

0 votes
Jeremy Barnes November 11, 2014

Thanks Timothy. I will try to get the JIRA Toolkit installed this week and try the Time in Status issue from there.

0 votes
Jeremy Barnes November 11, 2014

Hi Norman, I wasn't clear when I just used the client example. You are right that another example would be internally, if QA told us to revise something that we clearly should have completed properly the first time and wasn't due to a change in scope from the initial request. Thanks!

0 votes
Norman Abramovitz
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 8, 2014

I would need to understand your definition of non-quality better. So, you do not care that QA might reject a fix multiple times? Can you create an issue for each time a client calls back for the same issue?

Suggest an answer