Next:
badges earned

Your Points Tracker
Challenges
Leaderboard
  • Global
  • Feed

Badge for your thoughts?

You're enrolled in our new beta rewards program. Join our group to get the inside scoop and share your feedback.

Join group
Recognition
Give the gift of kudos
You have 0 kudos available to give
Who do you want to recognize?
Why do you want to recognize them?
Kudos
Great job appreciating your peers!
Check back soon to give more kudos.

Past Kudos Given
No kudos given
You haven't given any kudos yet. Share the love above and you'll see it here.

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

How to assign summary text to affected service using automation?

Hi all,

I am trying to make an automation rule that will edit my 'affected services' field so that the service set is one that has the same name as the summary - see below:

1231212.PNG

Just as some background, we have set the ticket's summary to be the exact same name as the affected service we want to be associated with the ticket (i.e the desired value of affected service field). However, this does not work and has error "Error while parsing additional fields. Not valid JSON".

Is my syntax wrong or am I going the wrong way around achieving what I want?

Many thanks!

3 answers

Hi @Aaron Monilal 

Please try to add some quotation marks around the name and summary smart values to see how that helps.  The resulting names of the field and summary may parse to cause the error.

{
    "fields": {
        "customfield_11633": "{{issue.summary}}"
    }
}

Best regards,

Bill

Hi @Bill Sheboy

I have tried this method but the automation rule's audit log says this errors with message the same as above.

Thanks!

Hi @Aaron Monilal 

My bad; I see from above that you note this is a multi-group picker field, so the syntax is different with JSON. 

First, we need to learn what the attributes (smart values) are for this field.  Please find an example issue with data in this field.  Then use the steps in this documentation to find the smart values.  Essentially you use this URL and search for your field name, and then look at the structure:

myCompanyJira/rest/api/2/issue/myExampleIssueKey?expand=names

Next, you can change the JSON to match the smart value structure, replacing "id" with your smart value name.  For example,

{
    "fields": {
        "customfield_11633": [ { "id":"{{issue.summary}}" } ]
    }
}

Hello @Aaron Monilal 

What is the field type for your Affected Services field?

Hi @Trudy Claspill,

My affected services is a multi group picker that comes from OpsGenie. A service can be set from the main navigation bar under 'Operations'.

This is all I know of it, but hopefully you have all the details that you need?

Thanks!

0 votes
John Funk Community Leader Apr 22, 2021

Hi Aaron,

Why happens if you select the Summary field from the Choose fields to set dropdown, and then click on the Copy value from option? 

Hi @John Funk

Using that method, it allows me to set some free text, or copy from the current issue (the ticket with the title I am trying to set to my field is made via an automation rule).

I tried using smart values to set {{issue.Affected Services}}: {{issue.summary}} but this didn't work.

Thanks!

John Funk Community Leader Apr 23, 2021

Following the path I suggested should still work. What doesn't work about it if you try it? 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Marketplace Apps & Integrations

Why everyone using Jira must be GDPR-compliant

Did you know that penalties up to 4 % of the yearly company turnover are possible in case of GDPR violations? GDPR regulations are currently mainly relevant for companies in the EU, but countries lik...

103 views 1 3
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you