How to Populate Jira Portfolio View

John Evan September 4, 2022

I have a created a filter that queries based on project in (1,2,3) and status not in (Cancelled) and issuetype = epic and labels in (A, B, C).

I have then created a Jira portfolio view using this filter.  I get the data that I expect, as far as the list of epics, into the portfolio view.

What I'm missing in the view is the Stories, Tasks, etc that are nested under the returned Epics above.  How can I get the portfolio view to include this data as well?  

**The problem is, I can't pull in data from Initiative down, as there are other Epics beneath the initiatives that I don't wish to include - I only want these specfic epics and their children.

5 answers

1 accepted

5 votes
Answer accepted
Satya Dusanapudi September 4, 2022

Some version allow you to pick only Initative you want when creating Source Issues, not sure why they have removed this useful feature in more recent release.

Regarding filter it's not optimal but you can achieve that using scriptrunner.

Let say you create a Filter A with id XXXX1

Project = XX and type = Initiative

Then you can create a filter to get Epics related to those Initiatives

issueFunction in linkedIssuesOf("filter=XXXX1", "is parent of")

You can save this filter and let say the id is XXXX2

Then do the same things for Tasks under Epic

issueFunction in issuesInEpics("filter=XXXX2'")

You can save this filter as XXXX3 and do a last one for SubTask

issueFunction in subtasksOf("filter = XXXX3")

Finally you add all of them as Issue Source.

Regards,

Satya

1 vote

Great. Cheers

1 vote

Hello John,

What is the version of Portfolio ? It should be named Advanced Roadmap now?

In some version you can select Initiative you want to include same for Epic, but it' s not the case anymore.

So I guess you have to create a filter for each level.

What you can also do is to structured your JIRA a bit different and have a project for Initiative then having a board or a project for each Team and Import multiple issue sources.

0 votes

Hey Thanks mate, it's working.

0 votes

I'm open to adding a filter, but how can I write a filter to find the children of a subset of epics as found via the first filter?  (Nested where clause, essentially)

Suggest an answer