How do you remove 'NONE' from a select list or radio button custom field?

Kirsty Mcloughlin July 27, 2017

I am using Jira version 7.2.6 - i have tried making the fields 'required' on the customer field configuration but that doesnt work. 

2 answers

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

0 votes
Rebecca haviv March 22, 2018

Was this ever resolved? I'm on version 7.3.1 and also can't hide the None option in the radio buttons via the configuration. I've rest the configuration to Required, made the default option Yes, and I still see None on the screen. I re-indexed and still no luck. I can't remove the option from the entire system because none is an option in other custom fields. Am I missing something?

In the end I succeeded using SIL as follows:

1. Instant hook on the issue type

2. Instant action as follows:

if(argv["screen"] == "create") {
    if (argv["issueType"] == "xxxx") {
        lfRestrictSelectOptions("customfield_xxxx", {"None"});

But I understand that the more code I put behind the scenes, the slower things will run so I'd like to do this in the configuration if possible.

0 votes
Stefan Arnold
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 27, 2017

You have to specify a default value for that field. You can do this under Customfields -> Configure -> Edit Default Value

hi i have tried that but the 'none' option is still present. 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 27, 2017

It's default and mandatory - have you done both?  (Both are at an issue level too, not project)

I have just tried that too and its still there. When you say issue level do you mean the custom field is assigned to an issue type?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 27, 2017

Yes, but also the configuration - you can give an issue type a "field configuration" that differes from other issue types in the same project (and, of course, across different projects). 

When I mess up fields, 75% of the time it's because I have associated the wrong field configuration, and 24% of the time, I've got the context wrong.

I have just checked and i have already assigned a field configuration for that issue type. I have also assigned the custom field to the same issue type and i have set a default value & made the field mandatory.......AND its still there :( 

Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 27, 2017

The default is assigned at the custom field definition level in the context, if you have different ones by project or issue type.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 28, 2017

You must be missing something in the configuration.

I've just created a new radio button field with three options, and made it mandatory in the field configuration (for all issue types in the project).

None is no longer an option when creating a new issue.

One other thought though - could someone have added "none" as an option in the list of options for the field?

Kirsty Mcloughlin July 28, 2017

what version are you using?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 28, 2017

JIRA 7.4 for that test, but I've also just tried it on 7.2, 6.4 and 5.2 to make sure my memory of the behaviour is correct.