How do i create an intake form on JIRA software?

Oreeba Badar November 11, 2021

Hi, is anyone familiar with how to create an intake form in JIRA software similar to the JIRA work management? Or is there any alternative to that?

Thanks in advance 

3 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Callum Carlile _Automation Consultants_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 11, 2021

Hi @Oreeba Badar , welcome to the Community!

Unfortunately this is not possible with Jira Software. The forms on JSM are a feature of the customer portal, which is only available on JSM. Issues on Jira Software are only created via the Create button within Jira

Thanks for this. 

Do you think you can provide any possible ways to create an intake form on JIRA software? 

Callum Carlile _Automation Consultants_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 11, 2021

I've just had a look on the Atlassian amrketplace and there are not many suitable options for an add-on for this. If you wanted to go down a more technical route, you could build a webpage/use another smart form app external to Jira, and then once this form is submitted it could create the Jira task using an API request.

But I think if you wanted to create the form within Jira, then you would need to use Jira Service Management

Thanks, would you be able to give me further info on how to create the Jira task using an API request?

2 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 11, 2021

What do you mean by "intake form"? 

The create issue functions in Jira Software and Jira Work Management are similarly configurable, and you can make them work pretty much identically if you want.

I'm trying to create a form for external users. Similar to the work management form but instead using the JIRA software. Does this make any sense? 

Like # people like this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 11, 2021

Not really.

The "work management form" is a create screen for a project and issue type.  Jira Software works the same way.  (Jira Service Management also does issue create, but additionally has requests, which go in front of the issue for customers and are a simplified view)

As an example, I can go into the acl-sandbox Jira, click "create issue" and I get a "form" asking me to create an issue in my main Jira software project, asking me for project, issue type, summary, description and more fields below them.  If I swap to the JWM project, I get exactly the same "form", albeit with some slightly different fields. 

So I'm questioning what you mean by "form", because they're the same in Jira Software and JWM projects.  Before we go off on "how to make one project have the same entry form as another".

Oh okay I see what you mean. I'm basically trying to create a form for end users to submit their requests (PIF) and trying to see if that is possible in the JIRA software to somehow have a possible link or form that can be used. 

Thanks for your help. 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 11, 2021

Ok, so, briefly:

• Add the custom fields you need to the system
  • Set up the "create issue" screen for the project and issue-type such that it includes all the fields you need on the form

And that's about it!  There's no real difference between a JWM and JS screen - that's the way you set up any "create issue form"

Like # people like this
Nikki DuBois February 8, 2023

That is what we did. 

Issue Type = Project Request

-- all fields in this issue type associate with a field needed to be filled out for the form.

-- it has a workflow it goes through to support the full intake approval process as well.

2 votes
Alex Medved _ConfiForms_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 11, 2021

Hi

If you are open to use plugins then look at the marketplace https://marketplace.atlassian.com/search?hosting=cloud&query=forms

(Disclaimer: we develop ConfiForms app that can also be used to build intake forms for Jira issue)

Also used Raley Intake Forms  - works very well when you need to have multiple forms (different languages, audience, use outside of Jira/Confluence) that gather user input and put into your Jira project directly

Alex

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events