How do I write a yearly comparitative throughput report?

Jeffrey Wolfe January 5, 2022

We'd like to have a report/gadget on our statistics dashboard that shows the total throughput from subsequent years to compare annual outputs.  The Two Dimensional report has the format we want, but the stats don't let me consolidate years.  Is there a way to pull the output of my yearly filters into a single gadget like maybe the pie chart and show the total for each year not broken down by sprint?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 5, 2022

Hi @Jeffrey Wolfe -- Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

First thing, if your team members, the work requests, or the technology used change over time, measuring back that far in time may not provide a lot of value.  What problem are you trying to solve by doing so.

Next, the built-in gadgets cannot do what you ask for roll-up/grouping criteria.  When customers need such features often they purchase marketplace addons or perform the reporting outside of Jira.

With the built-in features, you could create several queries using relative date ranges, and then they would not need updates.  Then use each saved filter with different gadgets on the dashboard.

For example, filters for the completed work for the last n-years would be:

• project = myProjectName AND statusCategory = Done AND resolved >= startOfYear(-1) AND resolved <= endOfYear(-1)
  • project = myProjectName AND statusCategory = Done AND resolved >= startOfYear(-2) AND resolved <= endOfYear(-2)
  • project = myProjectName AND statusCategory = Done AND resolved >= startOfYear(-N) AND resolved <= endOfYear(-N)

Kind regards,
Bill

Thanks, Bill.

I was not aware of the startOfYear and endOfYear functions so this was very helpful.  I was able to create some new filters and use a Two Dimension gadget for each year, then stacked the gadgets vertically in the dashboard.  At least we have a quick, visual comparison for each year.

Take care,

Jeff

Like # people like this
juliana de lima leite July 28, 2023

Hi Jeffrey, could you send me a picture of what your graph looks like? I'm trying to do just that and can't seem to get it. (julianaleite@outlook.com.br)

0 votes
Ilze Leite-Apine
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 5, 2022

Hi Jeff, 

For reporting, you may consider using eazyBI for Jira.

All issue data imported from Jira can be analyzed together for all past time periods or across several years; the information can be displayed as the total value, split by years (or months, weeks, days), and compared between time periods. In other words, there are no built-in limitations for the report time period.

The following report shows the number of issues (measure "Issues created"), created within each year; additionally, the change in % against each previous year is added. In such a way, any other metric can be analyzed (resolved or closed issues, logged time etc.).

split by time.png

Those data can be also displayed in the report  as a pie chart (only measure "Issues created" is used there):

split by time pie.png

You may check other eazyBI reports over time in the eazyBI Demo account, for instance,

Feel free to contact us at support@eazybi.com for any further questions!

Best, 

Ilze, eazyBI Customer Support

Hey Ilze,

Unfortunately I'm not in charge of procurement so I am not able to get the BI product.  However, it looks like you've got a great tool for a much needed method of analysis.

Take care,

Jeff

Like Ilze Leite-Apine likes this

Suggest an answer