Come for the products,
stay for the community

The Atlassian Community can help you and your team get more value out of Atlassian products and practices.

Atlassian Community about banner
Community Members

Community Events
Community Groups

How do I use ~ (CONTAIN) JQL operator with Label field

Edited

Hi,

I want to use ~ (CONTAIN) JQL operator in my JIRA query on Label field to search for any label, that contains specific phrase.

AND labels ~ 'ServiceNow'

Is it possible ? Thanks

3 answers

2 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted

I think "contains" is misleading in the name of the function, it's more "like" than "contains".  The English version of your query is closer to "and there is a label like 'ServiceNow'"

But the answer is a simple "no".  ~ searches for text in text fields.  Labels are a set of fixed terms, a select list rather than text.

Thanks. It explained why I cannot use it.

1 vote
Answer accepted
John M Funk Community Leader May 16, 2022

Hi @AGnieszka GRodzka 

Did you try what you have in your question? Did it work? If not, what was wrong? 

@Nic Brough _Adaptavist_  replied to me and it explained the issue I have. Yes I tried, and syntax did not work.

Like John M Funk likes this

Hi @AGnieszka GRodzka

As you're on Jira Cloud, the correct answer is to get an app that provides JQL extensions you're looking for.

With standard JQL, you can only get a list of issues and export them to Excel for further processing. This works if you want to do a one-off analysis. If your use case is more dynamic than that, look beyond standard Jira.

Standard JQL doesn't easily allow it, but you can quickly find the results using our professional indexing service JQL Search Extensions

Using this query will show any issue that contains a specific phrase in the label field:

issue in wildcardMatch("labels", “*ServiceNow*”)

Check out the documentation for more examples.
I hope this helps!
Maurício

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Jira Software

An update on Jira Software customer feedback – June 2022

Hello Atlassian Community! Feedback from customers like you has helped us shape and improve Jira Software. As Head of Product, Jira Software, I wanted to take this opportunity to share an update on...

49 views 1 3
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you