How do I setup JIRA for the Large Scaled Scrum Framework (LeSS)? It means one Product backlog for more teams (3 Sprint backlogs).

Jakub Matějec March 13, 2017

Hi All,

please could you help me with complexity problem in JIRA regarding managing one common product backlog for more teams (3 Sprints backlog). Distribution user stories from one product backlog to 3 sprint backlogs (3 countries with different responsibilities for development particular system).

Many thanks, James

4 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Gaston Valente
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 14, 2017

Hi Jakub,

At Applications > JIRA Software you can configure parellel sprints:

Screen Shot 2017-03-14 at 09.33.30.png

Then you can setup three separete boards, each one based on a filter based on a field that indicates the country and share it with the team members.

Is this what you're looking for?

Jakub Matějec March 14, 2017

Hi Gaston,

Many thanks for your advice! Yes, it is exactly what I am looking for. Based on your very beneficial recommendation I setup JIRA (result please find attached below), make sense this way from your perspective? I am still looking for better tagging/labeling stories (than re-use Versions, Epics for different purpose) and also mainly way of evaluation sprints between sprints (I am not sure that Velocity chart will work for every Sprint backlog).

Do you know this Portfolio Add-on (https://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/portfolio) or please do you have any other ideal how to manage this?

Many thanks,
Jakub

image2017-3-14 18:56:52.png

Gaston Valente
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 15, 2017

Jakub, how are you labeling stories right now? and how do yo manage sprints between sprints?.

0 votes
andrers2b March 21, 2018

Our teams set up is a little different. We have several products and all teams can work on any product's stories/features (whatever is the higher priority for the company at the moment), this is in accordance to LeSS. 

Because of this, the filters for our teams' boards all import tickets from multiple projects (JQL is something like project = X OR project = Y ... etc). Each project has a different PO that has set up their projects using the specific workflows for their products. Some of these workflows have different Definition of Done, and other differences. 

The problem arises, when one team's board needs to show tickets from different projects on the same sprint. If you set up the columns for one project's workflow (associating columns to statuses), you might be messing up the association for the other project, since they have different workflows.

Has anyone else encountered this problem? 

erin_quick-laughlin July 28, 2020

Yes - we had a Design team that did work which may or may not make it to a development team.  In the Design team workflow, we tried setting up entrance and exit points between boards.   It became too cumbersome because we essentially added 2 extra columns like an Inbox and Outbox, where each team could see each other's Inbox and Outbox, but not the In Process column in between - but this isn't sustainable if you have 1 project workflow integrating multiple other projects - too many columns.

I was hoping to find some improvements in Automation of Moving issues, but so far it seems you can only auto-clone to a different project, then auto-delete in existing.... https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/move-an-issue-with-automation/ 

This may not be bad though - perhaps just don't delete the original, and auto-comment back to the original when complete?  I'll have to try it.

A completely different way (and my preferred way, but political) is to re-organize the teams by Business Objective instead of org chart / product.  The intention is to better address cross-functional issues, and cut down on dependencies across teams, while better aligning to Vision-Mission-Strategic Objectives.

0 votes
Jakub Matějec March 14, 2017

Hi Thomas, thank you, probably I am looking for little bit different approach as Gaston wrote below. I will be glad if you have any other recommandation for this approach parallel sprints. Thanks, Jakub 

0 votes
Thomas B
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 14, 2017

Have you dug into the Swimlanes yet? Swimlanes allow users to use one board for multiple projects such as backlogs. Is this what you are looking for? If so, I can explain more

Suggest an answer