How do I remove the priority field from issues on an Agile project?

Flux Capacitor April 15, 2014

I don't want to see priorities on the issue list view at all. It seems that you can't just remove all the priorities-- the system requires that you have at least one priority. I just want to get rid of the notion of priority entirely and just use Ranking instead.

8 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Flux Capacitor May 5, 2014

Just to provide an answer to the original question: No, there's not a good way to do this in Atlassian Jira. Consider using Pivotal Tracker instead.

3 votes
Matt May 14, 2019

You can disguise the Priority system field pretty well by completing the following steps:

1) Create a new priority named 'Default', or whatever takes your fancy, and make the Icon URL the link below:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/02/Transparent_square.svg/1024px-Transparent_square.svg.png

This will make the icon image a transparent square

2) Add the new default priority to the default priority scheme and remove all other priorities

3) When Jira asks you to remap the old priorities choose the default priority and click confirm

4) Go to the Default Field Configuration

5) Find the 'Priority' system field and click 'Hide'

This will hide the priority from all issue view screens

You should now no longer have a priority shown in the issue backlog, board view, release view or in the issue view screens

IMPORTANT NOTE: This will affect every issue that is associated to either of the default priority and field configuration schemes! Make sure you know what issues this will affect before making changes!

EDIT: This will affect the active search capability within Jira if there is only a single field config scheme, as shown in the following ticket:

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRASERVER-30093

One solution suggested by Sergey Golikov is to have a separate 'stub' field config scheme that has the Priority field shown, but not actually used for any projects.

Cheers,

Matt

0 votes
E May 30, 2015

Definitely agree on the Priority field being a distraction comment, an old remnant of JIRA just being a bug tracker I guess.

0 votes

Thanks Dotun and Jason for your answers. Good to know I'm not missing anything.

My very hacky solution was to do the following:

- rename the last remaining Priority as "Default"

- specify "/" as the image URL (which results in a blank box for display)

For those who are interested, I see Priority as a distraction in the Agile process. Issues should be tackled in order of Rank, and Sprints and the Backlog should just be "prioritized" in Rank order. So much more useful and realistic than having 100 "top priority" issues that will never be included in a sprint.

0 votes

Thanks Dotun and Jason for your answers. Good to know I'm not missing anything.

My very hacky solution was to do the following:

- rename the last remaining Priority as "Default"

- specify "/" as the image URL (which results in a blank box for display)

For those who are interested, I see Priority as a distraction in the Agile process. Issues should be tackled in order of Rank, and Sprints and the Backlog should just be "prioritized" in Rank order. So much more useful and realistic than having 100 "top priority" issues that will never be included in a sprint.

0 votes
Jason Moerbe April 15, 2014

I tried a test removing the priority field completely from the associated screens and workflow. Everything still defaults to low priority for the purposes of the backlog/plan view.

Digging around the site, it looks like customization of this view is not currently possible.

https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/88136/is-it-possible-to-customize-the-display-of-issues-backlog-items-in-the-plan-view-of-greenhopper

D April 15, 2014

Oh OK. I see what you mean

0 votes
D April 15, 2014

Why don't you just make the field unrequired and hide it in the field configuration scheme and also remove it from the screen?

I already made the field optional, I hid in in the field configuration scheme, but I can't seem to remove it from the left side of each issue in the issue list on the "Plan" view. Any ideas on how to do that?

Suggest an answer