How do I merge two boards?

kirsty Northover April 8, 2021

I have a client who is using me for 3 different services, each has its own board.

Naturally, I don't want them to have 3 different boards to update, so want to merge all of the relevant planning boards into one for them - how do I do this?

2 answers

1 vote
Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 8, 2021

Hi @kirsty Northover,

Welcome to the community. The issue is not so much the boards, but where the issues are stored. They are stored in projects and boards are mainly a way to visually present and organise the issues.

To find out whether the issues are in one or multiple projects, look at their issue keys. If they start with a different combination (like ABC-1, DEF-1, GHI-1) , then they are in different Jira projects. If they share the same prefix, they are stored in the same project.

As you have different boards, changes are great that your issues are in different projects. And then, the next step is to see if those are team managed (next-gen) or company managed (classic) projects. You can see that in the top left corner of your board.

If they are classic projects, then the fix is easy. Just navigate to the configuration of one of your boards and go to your board settings. On the general tab, you will find the board filter:

Screenshot 2021-04-08 at 17.03.30.png

Click edit filter query and update the filter so it returns issues from your 3 projects. That would be something like this, to continue my same example:

Project in (ABC, DEF, GHI) ORDER BY Rank ASC 

If your projects use the same workflows, issues from all your 3 projects should now appear on the same board.

If your projects are next-gen, that's a different story. A next-gen board can't display issues from multiple projects. There is a feature request for that (JSWCLOUD-17444), but I don't expect to see that anytime soon. In that case you could either create a classic project and update its board filter to show issues from your next-gen projects. The procedure is more or less the same as described above, but in addition you will have to take a look at the column configuration of your board, so all statuses are mapped correctly to the board columns.

Or - as a last resort - you could merge the issues from all projects into one using bulk move, as described in this support article.

I hope this helps, just as much as I hope you're not looking at data in 3 next-gen projects :-).

René Lopez July 21, 2021

Hey Walter, I was trying to do this, but I can't find the board settings. There is a "project settings" option in the lateral menu but those are the settings for the whole project.

0 votes
Vero Rivas
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 8, 2021

Hi @kirsty Northover 

The boards is based on filter JQL query, so if you want to merge two boards you need to combine the JQL in one.

You must pay attention to the states of the projects that are the same so that you see everything reflected in an order

Cheers

Suggest an answer