How do I indent text in Jira Cloud Description and Comment fields?

eirens March 3, 2020

This area seems like a disaster, so I'm asking the question directly myself to get a straight, up to date answer.

1 answer

1 accepted

5 votes
Answer accepted
carlosughini
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 3, 2020

Hello Smith,

I really understand how frustrating this can be, but, unfortunately, it is not possible to indent text in Jira Cloud Description and Comment fields at the moment.

There is a feature request on Jira Cloud to support a Text Editor on Jira, similar to Confluence. I strongly recommend voting, watching and leaving a comment there so the project managers can understand better how this is impacting you. You can check the feature request in the link below:

As a workaround you can use the 'no format' notation as you can see on the image below:

{noformat} 
   Text1    
       Text2        
            Text3 {noformat}

Please give a try and let me know if it helps.

Cheers,

Carlos

eirens March 4, 2020

@carlosughiniThank you for that link and that workaround.

Do you know why we cannot indent in Jira Software Cloud? Maybe it was previously possible?

carlosughini
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 4, 2020

Hello Smith,

My apologies, but I'm not sure if it was possible in the past, I know that we can indent on Confluence.

Cheers,

Carlos

eirens March 15, 2020

Thank you, Carlos.

Christopher Beck July 14, 2021

Unfortunately the new WYSIWYG rich text editor linked about by @carlosughini does not support indenting or outdenting.  Sadly, after a decade or more of pondering they decided that less text functionality than Markdown was the way to go. 

Like Charles E Lewis Jr likes this
Nic Johnson July 24, 2023

The alternate keystroke for tab is ALT+09

Hold ALT then press 0 (zero), then 9 (nine)

Will tab as many times as you want. 

Works in most online text editors.  

Screenshot 2023-07-24 115845.png

Like # people like this
Michael Komisarenko
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
January 4, 2024

Thanks for the hack. I am surprised Atlassian would not do anything about it.

Suggest an answer