How do I hide sub-tasks on active scrum board using sql query on my swimlane

Jonny January 27, 2021

We have an active scrum board.

I want to hide the sub-tasks on the board at the moment as they are mainly tech tasks.

I have used quick filters, but want to find a sql query that I can use on my swimlane settings and NOT use quick filter.

Any help is appreciated.

Cheers 

4 answers

2 accepted

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

3 votes
Answer accepted
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 27, 2021

Hi Jonny,

If you want to hide sub-tasks completely, you should modify the actual board filter and not try to do it with swimlane queries.

Go to Board Settings > General > then click on Edit filter query. Add your AND type != sub-task JQL there. Be sure to save it.

Jonny January 27, 2021

Hmm, I did come across this in my search. I'll need to speak to the ultimate boss of boss who owns the permissions as don't think it will let me. Thanks for the confirmation John.

Does this mean you "can't" do it via swimlanes, but just that you "shouldn't" out of interest?

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 27, 2021

In the short term - try adding that code in the Sub-filter at the bottom and test it out. That should work and you don't have to confer with the ultimate boss of bosses.  

Around here we just call him Nic.  ;-)

Like # people like this
0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 27, 2021

Swimlanes and quick filters both use JQL and it's probably the same query for both functions.

If, for example, you set up a quick filter for "issuetype in subtaskIssueTypes()", then when a user clicks it, the board should hide all the issues that are not sub-tasks.

The same query, when used as the first and only swimlane, will split the board into two lanes horizontally, the top lane showing sub-tasks, the bottom lane showing standard issue types (the bottom lane shows all issues not selected for display in another swimlane)

Jonny January 27, 2021

Thanks for coming back Nic. I want to hide the sub-tasks totally.... ideally not in a separate swimlane. I have tried the "..AND type != sub-task" but no luck, still coming through.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 27, 2021

Can you confirm exactly what you have tried?

type != sub-task is a totally different question to issuetype in subtaskIssueTypes()

Jonny January 27, 2021

what is issuetype in subtaskIssueTypes() give you then?

Might be a silly question but never used it...

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 27, 2021

It selects for all issue types that are sub-task types, irrespective of their names.  The opposite function is standardIssueTypes() which selects all issue types except sub-task types.

Like Jonny likes this
0 votes
Geeta January 17, 2024

I tried with editing filter by adding AND issuetype != Sub-task at the end of it, and save the filter. - But this didn't work.

Instead i tried as by adding and issuetype not in subtaskIssueTypes() and this worked

before 

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 27, 2021

you would need to be using Swimlanes by queries and add  "... AND type != sub-task" to each swimlane you have defined.

Jonny January 27, 2021

Thanks for getting back to me so quick,

yep, I am using swimlane by queries, and I tried that != sub-task and no luck.... :-(

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 27, 2021

please share one of your complete filters

Jonny January 27, 2021

This is what we currently have in there:

project = "project name" AND "Epic Link" = "Project name" AND issuetype in ("Frontend Bug", "Frontend Story", "Frontend Task", "Backend Bug", "Backend Story", "Backend Task")

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events