How do I create parent child relationship using csv import

rbalamu2 May 25, 2022

I wanna import 1000 of issues with parent child relationship. Kindly someone help!

1 answer

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 25, 2022

You need two additional columns in your CSV.

One for a unique identifier for each issue you are importing (not a Jira issue key, just unique within the CSV) and a second one that you'll map to "parent issue", which, for each sub-task, contains the unique identifier of the parent issue you're importing.

rbalamu2 May 26, 2022

Hi @Nic Brough -Adaptavist- ,
Thanks for your reply. 
I have the below sheet as csv

Issue TypeEpic NameSummaryStatusDescriptionIssue IdParent Id
EpicDiagnostics : Implement Visteon Manufacturing specific diagnostics functionalitiesParent Epic - [JLR CCCM] : CarPlay : WiFi DisconnectionNo SpecsParent Epic - description102 
StoryDiagnostics : Implement Visteon Manufacturing specific diagnostics functionalitiesstory - SummaryNo Specsstory - Description 102

I am trying the import the same, Issues are newly created properly but I can't get the parent child linkage between the two.

parent child link import issue.PNG
kindly someone help!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 27, 2022

Ok, so you're talking about the Epic : Story relationship, not story : subtask

Your import is failing because

1) you are trying to put an Epic name on a Story.  The field does not exist for story-level issues, you can only put an Epic name on Epics

2) you have told it that one of your stories has a parent issue.  Stories are not sub-tasks, they don't have that parent/child relationship

The language people use here is unclear and confusing on a technical level  - we often talk about "parent child" relationships in the hierarchy interchangably, but they are different things in the code and data.

Take, for example, a typical hierarchy in Jira:

Initiative is a parent of Epics, the Epic is a parent of Stories, the Stories are a parent of sub-tasks.

But in Jira's code and data,

• Initiatives are linked to Epics
  • Epics have a name which is displayed when a Story belongs to an Epic via an Epic Link
  • Stories have sub-tasks

All of those can be described as "parent/child", but they're all totally different structures.

To make a story belong to an Epic, you need to set its Epic Link to the name of the Epic you want it to belong to.

Like cpopova likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events