Next:
badges earned

Your Points Tracker
Challenges
Leaderboard
  • Global
  • Feed

Badge for your thoughts?

You're enrolled in our new beta rewards program. Join our group to get the inside scoop and share your feedback.

Join group
Recognition
Give the gift of kudos
You have 0 kudos available to give
Who do you want to recognize?
Why do you want to recognize them?
Kudos
Great job appreciating your peers!
Check back soon to give more kudos.

Past Kudos Given
No kudos given
You haven't given any kudos yet. Share the love above and you'll see it here.

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

How do I create a custom template for a description text input field?

Originally, when creating an issue, the description text field is empty since you will need to write a description. Instead, I would like to have a prefilled (template) description so that it will be easier for me to fill in the answers or descriptions from that template. 

Could anyone help on this? 

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted

Hello @Danny Shin 

Welcome to the community.

Do you want to do this for a Company Managed project or a Team Managed project?

This can be done with third-party apps that you add to your JIRA instance, or by creating a custom Description field and substituting that for the built-in description field.

With regard to apps, I'm not sure how that works when you have the Free plan for JIRA Cloud. However, you can start by searching the Atlassian Marketplace to see what is available and supported for JIRA Cloud. 

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/search?query=jira%20description%20templates

For information about apps not compatible with the Free plan refer to

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-cloud-administration/docs/what-is-the-free-jira-cloud-plan/

Here is another post in the community that talks about the second suggestion I mentioned (a custom field). As written it looks like the contributor is working with a Company Managed project. I don't work much with Team Managed projects. I know that the implementation steps would be different for a Team Managed project.

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/Default-text-for-Description-field-on-Jira-Cloud/qaq-p/785597

(credit to @Julien Rubiano )

Hi @Trudy Claspill 

Thank you for the welcome. It is for the Company Managed project. Rather than the third party apps, I would like to create using the custom Description field. 

I actually did read the post by @Julien Rubiano but somehow the steps 3,4 and 5 I could not get at all. So I am wondering if there is another way to create it. Here is the screenshot how it looks like when I go to "Create" for Create issue.  The issue now is the template description is below the Description text box. How can I add that template description into the text box? 

issue_template.png

I suspect that what you did was add your template text to the field's description.

- Find the new field in the list of Custom Fields. Click the ... to the right and select Edit Details.

- Do you see your text in the blob field? This is where you would put text that would appear on the screen to describe the purpose of the field. This is not where you put the default text. Delete the text and click Update.

Screen Shot 2021-04-23 at 5.54.31 PM.png

- Find the new field in the list of Custom Fields. Click the ... to the right and select Context And Default Value

- Click on Edit Default Value and enter the template text you want.

Screen Shot 2021-04-23 at 5.56.18 PM.png

- In the next screen enter your template text and click Set Default.

Let me know if that fixes the issue.

Okay, it did fixed the issue! Thank you so much! However, do you know how to remove the default description especially on the Bug Issue Type? Right now I have two description sections. One is the custom template one and other is the default description.  template_screenshot.png

That would be Step 5 of Julien's post - you have to remove the native Description field from the screen used in the Create action for the issues in the project. It looks like you successfully modified the screen to add your custom field. You need to modify the same screen to remove the native Description field.

Don't forget to follow Step 4 also, to set up your workflow to copy the data from your custom field to the native Description field during the Create transition. Otherwise the Edit and View screens will not show the text entered into your custom field. That assumes that you are not adding your custom field to the Edit and View screens.

Okay I see now. I will take a look on step 4. Thank you so much. 

@Trudy Claspill I think I have a corresponding problem as Danny describes in his original post. We are using JIRA Server 8.12.3 and I have a project utilizing Kanban boards. At some point in time, I have managed to populate the description field with default (template) texts that we use. One of our users has asked if it's possible to also format these template texts (for example setting the headers to bold or using header styling). But I have looked all over the place to find the original text that I included to update it, but I can't find it. I suppose it's not possible to update it, but you to start over updating the description field as you mention in one of your earlier answers? 

This is really driving me crazy trying to figure this out. Perhaps you can share some more light on the subject and point me in the right direction (I suspect it's not been possible to include pre-formatted template texts in the Description field)? I have added a couple of screenshots of how it's set up today and a gif video showing what I try to change. 

Any help is appreciated! 🙏🏻
How_do_I_change_the_description_field.gifdescription_field_setup.jpg

Hello @Johan Bromander 

The second image you posted is about entering the text that displays below the field to explain the field's purpose. Also note that you are looking at the field in a specific Field Configuration. 

In Danny's case the suggestion is to use a Custom Field to present the template text in the Create Screen, and then when the issue is saved copy the data from the custom field to the built-in (System field) Description field.

Your image is indicating that you may have gotten template text into the (System field) Description field directly rather than using a custom field, and it only appears for specific issue types. That suggests to me that you may have used a third party app added to your JIRA instance to achieve that. I worked with JIRA Server a few years ago, and I think we might have been able to do something like that with the Adaptavist Scriptrunner app, using a feature they call Behaviors. I don't know if that might be the case for you, or if you might've used a different third party app.

Hi @Trudy Claspill ! Thanks for your feedback. No third party app used, but an earlier version of JIRA server were used.. perhaps there were other options available. 

I guess we can live with this. My customer will be moving to JIRA Cloud and perhaps we can change this then or purchase a plugin to enhance the issue templates. 

/Johan

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Marketplace Apps & Integrations

Staying organized with Jira: best practices for a better project management

Project managers know this problem: A “mountain of work” lays in front of you, and you don’t know how and where to tackle them. Different to-dos lie ahead, but just one task after the other can be ha...

247 views 2 1
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you