How do I amend the default Priority value in Jira software

Matthew Doughty September 3, 2021

Hi,

currently our Jira Software (cloud) instance has its default Priority set to medium.  Whilst I can view the Priorities, I cannot see how to change or remove that default value ?

Any feedback including examples would be very helpful...

2 answers

4 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 3, 2021

Hi Matthew,

You should be able to go to Settings > Issues > Priorities. There you should see a list of the current priorities with one of them being noted as default (assuming that is Medium for you).

You should be able to click on the word Default on the right hand side of one of the other priorities to set it as the default. 

Matthew Doughty September 3, 2021

Thanks @John Funk - I expected that answer so its good to have it confirmed but I have asked if I can remove completely having a default.  Is that possible and how ?

matt

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 3, 2021

Sorry, I missed that. No, you cannot completely remove the default. 

Luke Towers July 24, 2022

Hi @John Funk 

Currently our default is 4 when creating a ticket but the priority page does not have a default set? Seems like it may just default to the middle of the list? 

If I amend this default priority value assuming it will affect all our projects? 

Thanks, 

Luke

2022-07-25 08_17_33-Window.png

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 25, 2022

No positive but there is a good chance. If this is more about one project or another, just create an automation rule to set the priority if need be. 

Like Katherine Stevens likes this
Luke Towers July 25, 2022

Great idea. Thanks @John Funk 

Like John Funk likes this
0 votes
Jarosław Solecki _Deviniti_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
April 13, 2023

You can now change the default priority for the issues under the specific project with Jira plugins. 

There were made few changes in how Jira works which allowed us to create solutions for teams that have a need of making a create screen more flexible and usable for users. One of the annoying has been default values for system fields. We introduced this ability to set Default Values for fields with Dynamic Forms for Jira.

Moreover, you also gain some additional abilities like set value based on condition, and conditional show/hide fields, making them required or read-only

If you have any questions or would like to have a demo session just book it here.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events