How do I add people into a project? (Free Plan)

Zahra_Al-Mosawi February 25, 2020

Hi,

I can't add people to my project in Jira even though I have invited them to the site and added them as Site Admin. It is not possible for me to click on the "Add people" button since it says that "On the Free plan you need to add people in site admin.".

Does anyone know what I should do in order to add people into my project?

Thanks!

2 answers

4 votes
Angel May 13, 2020

I'm having the same problem. Jira software downgraded to free plan, and I'm not able to add people to a specific project (people that are already jira software users, added from the admin page). The tooltip says I should add them from site administration, but there's not an option to do so.

Paulina_Pietrykiewicz May 26, 2020

@Angel  I came across the same issue and it turned out that you technically can't add people to the project but you can add them directly to specific tasks, epics, etc as long as they are already part of the organization.  It seems like Jira skipped completely concept fo project teams for the free plan. Create a test task/story and try to apply a new assignee by typing the name.

Like Angel likes this
Angel May 27, 2020

thank you for your reply @Paulina_Pietrykiewicz

I gave up after a couple days of posting and went back to a paid plan, but your answer seems to be the solution.

1 vote
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 25, 2020

if you are a site admin go to Jira settings > user management and click Invite users. add their email and check the applications you want them to have access to. If you are attempting this very method please provide more info/images.

1jira.JPG2jira.JPG3jira.JPG

I have already used the method you mentioned and they are already invited to Jira. However, when I want to add them to the project it is not possible. I sent them the link of the kanban board and they could open it without any problems.

Bharath Kumar Kappala
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 25, 2020

@Zahra_Al-Mosawi If they already have site-admin access then they should not have a problem with accessing any projects that are part of Jira. But I understand what you are talking about not all the users can be given site-admin access. This is strange we had the same issue with one of our server instance and the issue was with the browser that we were using (IE), when we started using Chrome the issue got resolved automatically. I think your problem is completely different I think you are using Jira Cloud.

Like Priyanka Palle likes this
Keith Mertens April 9, 2020

We are having the same problem. It does no currently seem possible (as an admin or otherwise) to add current JIRA users into a new project created on the free plan. User management on projects created before things changes still seem to work properly though. Is there a solution to this yet?

Paul Zhang July 29, 2021

2021, still the case?

ZW February 21, 2022

Still, I have same problem. I can't add people to project in free plan if project was created before  new person was added. 

Thomas Jung April 28, 2022

Same on my side in the first step! After adding the user to all groups  - incl. admin groups - access to projects and tickets was possible. This is quite confusing.

Like David Helfrich likes this
David Helfrich July 26, 2022

Also having the same issue.  Any update to this?

Vitaliy July 26, 2022

This is a really bad user experience. It means that in the free plan it's not possible to delete tasks/subtasks. If this is the case, at least Atlassian should have mentioned this explicitly in my view. The messages displayed say the contrary. 

Like Wilbert Corts likes this

Suggest an answer