How can you see the watchers of a ticket in the new JIRA UI?

Carol McDonnell August 24, 2018

In the new UI, I can see how to add myself as a watchers, but can't see how to add others, or see who is already a watcher.

What am I missing?

3 answers

2 votes
John Schuster October 18, 2018

I would also like to chime in with

"You removed what?"  

Really?  You removed the ability to manage watchers from a JIRA task.

I'd liked to have been at the meeting where that decision was made.

The "official" response is to use the "Old View"

I expect better from Atlassian.

Anyone know how to switch back to "Old view" for everything?

Carol McDonnell October 18, 2018

John,

Each user can turn this off under their own profile.  In my JIRA view, it is the profile picture in the bottom left corner.  From here you can disable the New View.

Special Thanks.

I've posted a blog article to help others who have asked me about this.

I gave you a shout out here.

https://geekmusthave.com/?p=5592

Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 18, 2018

Hello @John Schuster.

each user can turn-off the new issue view by clicking on the profile picture > Your profile and settings > Personal settings and toggle the switch for the New Jira issue view.

For more information about it, check the link below:

The New JIRA Issue View

Anton Ukhanev
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
February 29, 2024

Probably, Atlassian just started from scratch on this. In that case, the problem is not a decision to remove, but the lack of a decision to add.

Not justifying Atlassian, just trying to explain this to myself.

1 vote
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 24, 2018

Hello Carol,

You must have both permissions below on your project to be able to see and manage other watchers in the issues:

View Voters and Watchers

Manage Watchers

To properly check/add these permissions to your users, you can navigate to Project Settings > Permissions

I'm honestly not sure which Permission group I below to, however I am able to view and manage watchers from the old JIRA issue view.   I would be surprised if permissions are different between the new and old views.

Like Anton Ukhanev likes this
0 votes
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
August 24, 2018

Hello Carol,

Can you please provide us screenshots displaying where you are able to set new watchers using the old view and where you would expect to set the field in the new view?

The New JIRA view has been updated recently, so I would like to have more context to know how it is currently displaying in your JIRA Version.

New UI watcher.PNGNew JIRA Issue view (top right hand corner of the screen) - Here is the only location in the new view related to watchers.  And the only thing I can do it toggle this "eye" icon on or off to make myself a watcher or not.

Like # people like this

old UI Watcher list.PNGThe old JIRA view - Here I can click on the blue button next to watchers to see the list of all 12 watchers.  Within the list I can highlight and click the trashcan to remove user.  Or add new users at the top.

These screen shots are from the exact same ticket - just old view vs. new view.

Let me know if you need more info.

Carol McDonnell September 7, 2018

@Petter Gonçalves 

Did you have any other suggestions based on my screenshots, or do you need further information?  Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
September 7, 2018

Hello Carol,

Sorry for my delay.

Indeed, it seems there is no way to manage watchers in the new issue view as you mentioned.

As you can see on in this Post, this is something we plan to support in the near future, however, if the new design currently doesn't meet your needs, you can go back to the old view by clicking "See the old view" in the top right or by switching the feature off in your user profile (click the ••• on the issue and click "Turn off new view").

Carol McDonnell September 7, 2018

Thanks for including that other ticket link.  I'm glad we aren't the only company struggling with the limitations of this new view.  We have teams that are wanting to leave JIRA and purchase another product due to these changes.

I really hope the ability to click on the old view is not removed anytime soon. 

Rob Hughes October 31, 2018

@Petter Gonçalves

You said, "we plan to support in the near future" but it's now almost November. That's not near future. I generally like the new view, but missing features like this are unacceptable. Get it done.

Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
October 31, 2018

Thank you for your feedback, @Rob_Hughes.

I understand your point and hope that our support team will implement this functionality soon.

Roger January 5, 2019

There is no way to manage watchers, neither in the new View, neither in the old View:

(I am the global admin, so permissions should not be a problem)

image.png

We need this feature back. It is imperative. This is one of the main reasons that we bought the subscription for all team members. It is 2019 and I've seen post since April 2018, this is completely unacceptable.

John Schuster January 7, 2019

Rogelio I'm still going back to "Old View" in order to set up watchers for new JIRA tasks entered in the "New View".  It works just fine but it is a PITA.

I'm looking into "Roles" for assigning a number of users who always should be assigned to a new JIRA.  A workaround at best.

As someone who has watched JIRA evolve over the last 3-4 years, I'm disappointed in the direction this fine product has taken.   I have written many extensions and interfaces using both the API and the CData ODBC driver for JIRA.  These were for functionality that JIRA never had, now I'm writing them for things JIRA used to have.

Like Vicki Lea Tsang likes this

Suggest an answer