How can I see parent name/link in a subtask?

Alexey Nechaev August 10, 2021

Hi. Is it possible to see the parent of a subtask in a separate field? I know I can see the parent in the breadcrumbs, but in order to do that I need to hover over the breadcrumbs, see the popup, and possibly go to the task itself. I would like to see a separate field with the name of the parent for the subtask.

Also is it possible to see the subtask to which epic it belongs in a separate field? 

5 answers

1 vote
Norman Walter March 2, 2022

Hi! Have exactly the same issue and ended up here while googling it.

Not sure if a solution to this has been found in the meantime, but if so I'd be interested.

As @Alexey Nechaev said, the ParentIssueKey field doesn't exist in our Jira (and I guess it's not a default one) and the Parent link field doesn't work for Sub-Tasks (but I'd expect that one to be the right choice).

Parent Link - Sub-Task.png

What the red marked text suggest also doesn't make much sense to me or is at least not what I'd expect here.

Norman

rkilmon November 2, 2022

right?  why would I need to explicitly set the parent of a sub-task?

to be clear, when looking at the user story, I can see the list of its sub-tasks.

it doesn't seem to be working the other way, however: when on the sub-task, I lose the linkage back to the parent user story.

horrible ux.

Like # people like this
0 votes
Vladimir Kanavalov October 6, 2023

In my case I acted like this: 

go to the list of issues. add columns to the list: parent, parent link. And there was no parent in the problem sub-tasks.  It's look like they just lost parent.

0 votes
Dennis September 29, 2023

I am also mssing this. The visualization and controls for managing the hiearchy of epic>story>(sub)tasks are absolutely terrible in Jira, cannot understand why this is such a mess.

0 votes
Ryan McLeavy July 17, 2023

Seems like quite an oversight. Having to hover over the parent breadcrumb doesn't take long but doing it 100s of times per day is infuriating.

0 votes
Alex Koxaras _Relational_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 10, 2021

Hi @Alexey Nechaev and welcome,

For the parent-subtask issue, you can use the ParentIssueKey field (just add it to the appropriate screens). It will only show the project key of the parent issue.

For the epic - subissues relation, you can see that from the epic link field. If not visible, then add it to the screens.

Does this solve your problem?

Alex

Alexey Nechaev August 10, 2021

I can't see ParentIssueKey field here. Is it custom field? And if it is displayed, then only the key, not the name?

https://www.loom.com/share/f48502b6147941da9b36a90bb3434445

1. About epic links. Epic link works fine for task but not for subtask. Is this how it should be? Is the epic link not inherited from the task? 
  2. Parent link also not working for subtask or I don't get smth?
  3. Team field is blocked in subtask but it also does not inherit from the parent task.
Suresh Srini May 17, 2022

I am using data center. Not seeing "ParentIssueKey " as system field. And "parent linK=k is not fetching value of Story or Epic the subtask belongs to.

We have advanced roadmap license, still this is not available.

rkilmon November 2, 2022

same problem here.  this used to just show up on sub-tasks by default.

in my jira instance, I doin't even see the breadcrumbs that used to be at the top of every ticket in sub-tasks, nor am I able to add ParentIssueKey or anything like parent.

I have a very limited set of fields to select from.

who ever thought it would be a good idea to remove the parent information from a sub-task?  the clue is in the name!

feels like a big regression to me.

Suggest an answer