Come for the products,
stay for the community

The Atlassian Community can help you and your team get more value out of Atlassian products and practices.

Atlassian Community about banner
Community Members

Community Events
Community Groups

How can I see parent name/link in a subtask?

Hi. Is it possible to see the parent of a subtask in a separate field? I know I can see the parent in the breadcrumbs, but in order to do that I need to hover over the breadcrumbs, see the popup, and possibly go to the task itself. I would like to see a separate field with the name of the parent for the subtask.

Also is it possible to see the subtask to which epic it belongs in a separate field? 

2 answers

Hi! Have exactly the same issue and ended up here while googling it.

Not sure if a solution to this has been found in the meantime, but if so I'd be interested.

As @Alexey Nechaev said, the ParentIssueKey field doesn't exist in our Jira (and I guess it's not a default one) and the Parent link field doesn't work for Sub-Tasks (but I'd expect that one to be the right choice).

Parent Link - Sub-Task.png

What the red marked text suggest also doesn't make much sense to me or is at least not what I'd expect here.

Norman

0 votes
Alex Koxaras Community Leader Aug 10, 2021

Hi @Alexey Nechaev and welcome,

For the parent-subtask issue, you can use the ParentIssueKey field (just add it to the appropriate screens). It will only show the project key of the parent issue.

For the epic - subissues relation, you can see that from the epic link field. If not visible, then add it to the screens.

Does this solve your problem?

Alex

I can't see ParentIssueKey field here. Is it custom field? And if it is displayed, then only the key, not the name?

https://www.loom.com/share/f48502b6147941da9b36a90bb3434445

1. About epic links. Epic link works fine for task but not for subtask. Is this how it should be? Is the epic link not inherited from the task? 
  2. Parent link also not working for subtask or I don't get smth?
  3. Team field is blocked in subtask but it also does not inherit from the parent task.

I am using data center. Not seeing "ParentIssueKey " as system field. And "parent linK=k is not fetching value of Story or Epic the subtask belongs to.

We have advanced roadmap license, still this is not available.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Jira Software

Upcoming changes to epic fields in company-managed projects

👋 Hi there Jira Community! A few months ago we shared with you plans around renaming epics in your company-managed projects. As part of these changes, we highlighted upcoming changes to epics on...

14,492 views 37 44
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you