How can I link several JIRA issues to one JIRA issue?

林博助
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
July 3, 2020

How can I link several JIRA issues to one JIRA issue?

bulk tools can't do that

2 answers

1 vote
Phill Fox
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 3, 2020

Hi @林博助 

Welcome to the Atlassian Community.

Bulk tools will allow you to connect several Jira issues to one issue. 

Please follow these steps

1. Search for all the issues you want to link to a single issue

2. Use bulk tools to select the list of issues

3. Edit the issues and add the link to the single issue. 

The reason this works is that all links are two-way and so you need to make sure you use the right description. 
For example you might have
Problem-Incident with the two relationships - Causes and Caused By

Regards

Phill

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 3, 2020

The key here is to think in reverse. Don’t try to link say 5 issues to one issue but rather link the one to the 5. 

Kyrylo Volchkov
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
March 21, 2023
Unavailable Actions
  • Change Linked Issues
    NOTE: This field is not available for bulk update operations.
Like # people like this
1 vote
Jan Szczepanski
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 3, 2020

@林博助 

within the Issue where you'd like to link multiple other issues, click on

Server / DC

• More > Link
  • Choose the link type
  • Choose all the issues you like to link

2020-07-03_12h41_00.png

Cloud

• In issue view click Link issues in the action bar
  • Choose link type
  • Choose all the issues you like to link

2020-07-03_12h40_06.png

Joe Imhoff April 6, 2023

What if I have 100 tickets I want to link to this one? I used to be able to do this on older versions of Jira and now it's gone. 

How would you suggest I link 100 tickets to this one?

Like # people like this
Kyrylo Volchkov
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
April 7, 2023

In old version of cloud jira user was able to link issues to ticket using the filters. But in new one it is gone. You can add manually and if need to add many tickets I use the workaround by creating the excel table copy-paste the ticket numbers, but still need manually select it from the suggestions. I don`t find any other way to do it with UI.

Joe Imhoff June 6, 2023

Even the workaround is gone now. Each time you paste, it finds the first ticket number you entered. Once again, we had our software engineering team create a tool that does this work automatically for us, and we've come up with something outside of Jira to solve disappearing features.

Really, if we weren't already so invested in Jira, we'd just leave over the growing number of issues like this.

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer