How can I export the Backlog to csv or Excel or TXT?

Greg Messemer March 11, 2020

How can I export the Backlog to csv or Excel or TXT? There is no export in any of the menus options.

4 answers

2 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 30, 2020

Hi @Greg Messemer -- Welcome to the Atlassian community!

Were you able to figure out this issue?  To export from JIRA, you

• Navigate to Issues and Filters
  • Create a filter for the items of interest,
  • Select the Export to CSV at the top right of the page, under Export

There is a limit of up to 1000 items for exporting.  If you have more in the set, add more criteria to your filter to export in smaller batches.

Best regards,

Bill

dnevarez October 18, 2021

How do you navigate to issues and filter?

Thanks, 

Danny

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 18, 2021

Hi @dnevarez -- Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Please start with the top navigation bar...Filters > Advanced Issue Search

Kind regards,
Bill

Like Nishanth K S Rao likes this
Samantha Mireanu December 14, 2021

Can anyone recommend the actual query to pull up only items in the backlog? Navigating to filters and exporting is simple enough. I'm having trouble coming up with what to request. Thanks

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 14, 2021

Hi @Samantha Mireanu -- Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Please try this one, substituting in your project's name:

project = myProjectName AND statusCategory = "To Do" ORDER BY Key

Please note that if you are using a team-managed project, there is no way to query yet for the difference between "to do" in backlog versus on the board.  You would need some other way to distinguish those issues.

Kind regards,
Bill

Like # people like this
Akinlolu Awodiran January 30, 2024

I tried to export my timeline on Png image format , but it just keep rolling

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 30, 2024

Hi @Akinlolu Awodiran 

This 3 year old question is about exporting the backlog issues, and not the timeline view.  

Please create a new question if you are having difficulty with something else, including some screen captures of what does not work as you expected.  Thank you!

Kind regards,
Bill

0 votes
Answer accepted
James Havelock May 10, 2023

1. Navigate to Issues and Filters

2. Go to the advanced search (JQL)

3. Add this

project = <your project name> AND resolution = Unresolved AND status!=Closed AND (Sprint not in openSprints() OR Sprint is EMPTY) AND type != Epic ORDER BY Rank ASC

The key components are

"resolution = Unresolved AND status!=Closed" which only includes 'current issues'

"(Sprint not in openSprints() OR Sprint is EMPTY)" which removes issues in the current sprint and also past Sprints

It also removes Epics as you typically don't want to analyse them and finally the order is the same as your backlog (if, which is typical, you have that ordered by Rank).

Note if you backlog is huge (>1000) and you want to export it all then instead sort by the key and use this to export the first 1000, then the next 1000, etc e.g. export with order by Key, see where it gets to e.g. DAE-1442 and then add a filter to continue from that point. 

project = <your project name> AND key >DAE-1442 order by Key

(note, be mindful of your column matching if you have multi-values e.g. label - it is easier to put these types of columns on the right-hand side)

4 votes
Levente Szabo _Midori_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
November 15, 2021

1. You don't have to do it programmatically if scripting is not your forte

2. You don't have to navigate JQL and create filters, etc

Better Excel Exporter is integrated into the backlog view of Jira and you can export to Excel right from there.

Depending on your Jira deployment type (Server or Cloud), the UI is different, but you can export the Jira backlog to Excel like this:

1. Go to the Backlog view of Jira Cloud
  2. Open the three-dot menu in the upper-right corner
  3. Select the Excel Export menu item
  4. Select the Excel export format you want

better-excel-exporter-backlog-export.png

(Please note that Better Excel Exporter is a paid and supported app and I'm part of the team developing it.)

Alicia Thompson September 12, 2022

Unfortunately, I am not seeing these options under my backlog tab, I only see the option to show 100 issues or 500 issues. Is there something I need to configure?

Levente Szabo _Midori_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
September 13, 2022

@Alicia Thompson I'm not sure if you are on the backlog screen. Please reach out to our support here, so we can give you a personalized solution to this and make it work for you!

Like Greg Messemer likes this
0 votes
Greg Messemer November 11, 2021

Found a PowerShell script to do this programmatically.

Thanks

Rob Farnell November 24, 2021

Is this with Jira Cloud?

Like Greg Messemer likes this
Tomas Tittl May 24, 2023

Can you share this with us, @Greg Messemer

Thank you

Suggest an answer