How can I display story points completed per epic?

bmacd December 16, 2021

I need to show which Epics the team have worked on over the quarter and a ratio across them.

I've written a filter to show issues closed during last quarter: 

project in (ProjectX) AND issuetype in (story, bug, spike, task, analysis) AND status changed to (Resolved, Done) before "2022/01/01" after "2021/09/30"

The epics in this project have the story points calculated using automation.

So I have the time period, I have the points in the Epics, now I just need to show the breakdown. Eg: We completed 40 points in Epic-123 and 20 points in Epic-456. 

I created a dashboard and the standard Pie Chart would be perfect... except that shows issues, not points. The Workload Pie would also work if they had Story Points in 'Time field to report on'. 

Any other ways to do it? 

6 answers

1 vote
Vishwas
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 16, 2021

Hi @bmacd 

If I understand this correctly you need to show points against each Epics in dashboard gadget ?

Few questions ? This is custom field you have created and updating via automation ? or "Story points" field.

You can try "Filter Results" Gadget which display the epics along with that field in the column option.

Regards,

bmacd December 19, 2021

Hi @Vishwas that nearly works but it doesn't give me a summary per Epic, it's at story level. thanks anyway

0 votes
Andrii Chaika September 20, 2023
0 votes
Tushar Mathur February 20, 2023

Any standard gadgets/ jql to show storypoints by status in an Epic?

I was able to get no. of tickets by status in an Epic, using the Two-Dim Filter Stat gadget, but not storypoints.

Not looking for add-ons but something available in default factory installation of JIRA.

0 votes
Bloompeak Support
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
January 3, 2022

Hi @bmacd,

There is a good solution for your request - Reports - Charts and Graphs for Jira app developed by our team. You can get a bar chart of sum of story points grouped by epic as in the below screenshot. Hope it helps.

SumOfStoryPointsByEpic.png

bmacd January 3, 2022

This looks good thanks 

0 votes
Rahul_RVS_Support
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
December 17, 2021

Hi @bmacd 

If you would be interested in a third party add-on, to roll-up time estimates and story points at each parent level, you can try out our app

Agile Tools : Epic Tree, Links Tree, Time in Status & Worklogs

The app provides the following features.

1) Links/Portfolio/Advanced Roadmaps Hierarchy :- View/Manage roll up of time estimates for hierarchy (up to 10 levels), based on your Portfolio/Advanced Roadmaps/Issue Links parent child relationship.

2) Epic Hierarchy :- View/Manage roll up of time estimates for standard Jira hierarchy. Epic -> User Story -> Subtask

3) Time in Status :- More than 7 types of Time in Status reports to track your issues.

4) Worklogs Report :- Track time spent by resources with multiple filters / category / grouping features

5) Timesheet :- View/Enter your time spent for multiple days

Epic Hierarchy.png

bmacd December 19, 2021

This looks like what I need @Rahul_RVS_Support , I'll see if I can get the Jira team to install a trial on our UAT. Thanks 

Like Rahul_RVS_Support likes this
0 votes
Andreas Haaken _APTIS_
Marketplace Partner
December 16, 2021

Hi @bmacd , 

would that be something that could help you:

2021-12-17 08_36_06-Edit - Epic Sum Up Dashboard - Jira.png

Its a dashboard from our Addon: Epic Sum Up 
cheers andreas

Ganell Dunn
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
February 19, 2024

Is this an add on?

Suggest an answer